• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Always assume it's loaded

So I met up with a young guy in the military tonight to trade him a rifle for his M&P 45. While checking the function. wouldn't you know it but a round ejects from the chamber, which explains why it felt so heavy when I picked it up. I ejected the loaded mag and we went on with our trade. Near disaster averted at RaceTrac.
Working at LGS tonight dude handing me a box and opened it himself. Inside was a S&W 45 Shield performance center magazine removed. He picked it up I promptly, yet tactful took it from him, cleared the slide and out popped a nice 220grain +P critical duty. As an employee there's a look that's exchanged along with some serious words of wisdom and a discussion on potential. Usually the owner leaves feeling....educated.... for lack of a better term but yes, always clear dem thangs. And don't flag your boy whilst clearing please :doh:
Ps wonder if we met the same dude :lol:

I had a friend in high school that was not up to snuff on gun rules and regs. He picked up a 30-30 out of the corner in the house and looked at it. He put the gun back down and the gun fell over and blew his girl friend's calf completely off. When I mean completely I mean it tore every bit of calf muscle and tissue off from the back of the knee to the ankle. Except for revolvers I don't see any reason to keep a round in the chamber. I takes 1 second to cock or rack the slide or lever to get ready for trouble.
My take on guns is, if you don't know what you are doing and don't know the 4 rules of gun handling keep your curious mitts off the merchandise. A lot of people just don't take into consideration the destructive capabilities of guns in general. Even today's BB and pellet guns are reaching FPS speeds equal to that of a 22 LR weak round and can kill in an instant.
Something my mother stressed to me very frequently when I got my first gun at the age of 10. It was kinda of reversed. My mother grew up in the hills of Virginia and her dad ran moonshine and kept guns laying everywhere. My father was relatively lax about the situation and my mom stepped up to the pump and drilled me over and over about gun safety. I am glad she did. Training that stuck with me for my whole life. I can't tell you how many times I have been muzzle swept by men that didn't have that level of seriousness about the situation. Needless to say I go up in their ass and break an industrial size stick off. The crazy thing is they do it and don't even know there is anything wrong with it.
I know I took this thread to another level in bitching but something that every body needs to constantly remind their selves of where the barrel is aiming and where their fellow hunters are. Also equally as important is checking the gun chamber every single time they pick up any gun. Even if they know it is unloaded it should still be checked.
I apologize for the excessive ranting but that kind of absent mindedness is just to much for me to handle. I get violent when I see crap like that.

Whatever happened to the practice of only handy over a cleared weapon with the chamber open? If someone tries to hand me a weapon this has not been done to, I'll ask them to make it that way before I'll accept it. Unless, of course, they are an idiot and it's safer to get it out of their hands as soon as possible.

That's the way I roll. I always clear a weapon before handing it to anyone, action open.

I had a friend in high school that was not up to snuff on gun rules and regs. He picked up a 30-30 out of the corner in the house and looked at it. He put the gun back down and the gun fell over and blew his girl friend's calf completely off. When I mean completely I mean it tore every bit of calf muscle and tissue off from the back of the knee to the ankle. Except for revolvers I don't see any reason to keep a round in the chamber. I takes 1 second to **** or rack the slide or lever to get ready for trouble.
My take on guns is, if you don't know what you are doing and don't know the 4 rules of gun handling keep your curious mitts off the merchandise. A lot of people just don't take into consideration the destructive capabilities of guns in general. Even today's BB and pellet guns are reaching FPS speeds equal to that of a 22 LR weak round and can kill in an instant.
Something my mother stressed to me very frequently when I got my first gun at the age of 10. It was kinda of reversed. My mother grew up in the hills of Virginia and her dad ran moonshine and kept guns laying everywhere. My father was relatively lax about the situation and my mom stepped up to the pump and drilled me over and over about gun safety. I am glad she did. Training that stuck with me for my whole life. I can't tell you how many times I have been muzzle swept by men that didn't have that level of seriousness about the situation. Needless to say I go up in their ass and break an industrial size stick off. The crazy thing is they do it and don't even know there is anything wrong with it.
I know I took this thread to another level in *****ing but something that every body needs to constantly remind their selves of where the barrel is aiming and where their fellow hunters are. Also equally as important is checking the gun chamber every single time they pick up any gun. Even if they know it is unloaded it should still be checked.
I apologize for the excessive ranting but that kind of absent mindedness is just to much for me to handle. I get violent when I see crap like that.
You must have never been in a gunfight. All mine stay with one in the pipe. Hence the reason manufacturers state in their manuals and on most their boxes 10+1 6+1 etc try and get your weapon into battery during a gunfight and well read about it later. Otherwise your statements on basic fire Arms safety apply I.e. Checking chambers and muzzle awareness, but I cannot abide by your logic of "you have time to chamber a round" because frankly sir you are wrong and you don't.

My Dad gave me a LOT of rope growing up. He was very lax on most things. I had my first pellet gun at age 6 (supervised for the first couple of years), had mini bikes, go karts, then dirt bikes and was allowed to ride miles from home on public roads when I was 13 or 14 years old.

There were two things though, that he was an absolute NAZI about. ALWAYS wearing a helmet and gun safety. Both are burned into my being to this day. I'm shocked at how many people I know have no concept of firearms safety. Whenever they screw up around me, they get told though. And after that, I never go shooting/hunting with them again.

You must have never been in a gunfight. All mine stay with one in the pipe. Hence the reason manufacturers state in their manuals and on most their boxes 10+1 6+1 etc try and get your weapon into battery during a gunfight and well read about it later. Otherwise your statements on basic fire Arms safety apply I.e. Checking chambers and muzzle awareness, but I cannot abide by your logic of "you have time to chamber a round" because frankly sir you are could be wrong and you don't may not have.

For me, it's about risk management, which I understand is a very subjective and speculative thing. The AR and pump shotgun in the house are "cruiser ready" with an empty chamber. The pistol on my belt is hot. FWIW, no, I've never been in a gunfight and I hope that I never am. YMMV

For me, it's about risk management, which I understand is a very subjective and speculative thing. The AR and pump shotgun in the house are "cruiser ready" with an empty chamber. The pistol on my belt is hot. FWIW, no, I've never been in a gunfight and I hope that I never am. YMMV
I hope you don't have to be in one either my friend but if you find yourself on the wrong end of a weapon I hope you have every advantage available to include, but not limited to, weapons in battery, within arms reach or on person combined with training behind that weapon to deploy it effectively. Risk assessment works well when we can identify potential, unfortunately we are rarely the ones picking when and where we will be made victims. God bless.

Back
Top Bottom