• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Always assume it's loaded

With my douche comment above out of the way I will now provide fair balance with my own beyond reckless story. My stupidity still make me feel nauseous. And I have posted this story on the ODT before.

Several years ago I sold a Berretta 92fs to another ODT member. We met in I believe a parking lot of a mall. He had maybe his wife (?) with him, maybe even another person. There were several of us standing round saying hello. I carefully had him the pistol for inspection. He racks the slide. Out pops a round. He responded with complete calmness and simply shrugged his shoulders. I almost threw up. I'm not saying there are many people as dumb as me, but there are some. No excuse offered, it was inexcusable.
Would you call that an accident or you being negligent?

Seems like common sense and basic gun safety, but I've had it happen to me here more than once. I always assume it's loaded until I check that it's clear. Every once in a while you find a surprise.

And then continue to treat it as if it were loaded.

That's why Elmer Keith kept every gun he owned loaded all the time, including all of the collector pieces he kept in glass presentation cabinets at his home. That way there was never any question.

I check my firearms regularly to see be sure they are loaded, if not they get loaded.
Treat all my firearms as if they were loaded, because they are.

Whatever happened to the practice of only handy over a cleared weapon with the chamber open? If someone tries to hand me a weapon this has not been done to, I'll ask them to make it that way before I'll accept it. Unless, of course, they are an idiot and it's safer to get it out of their hands as soon as possible.

? If someone tries to hand me a weapon this has not been done to, I'll ask them to make it that way before I'll accept it.
How do you know "this" has not been done to it?

Unless, of course, they are an idiot and it's safer to get it out of their hands as soon as possible.[/QUOTE]
How would you know their IQ? Do you give them a quick test, or just go with your LEO instincts?

You must have never been in a gunfight. All mine stay with one in the pipe. Hence the reason manufacturers state in their manuals and on most their boxes 10+1 6+1 etc try and get your weapon into battery during a gunfight and well read about it later. Otherwise your statements on basic fire Arms safety apply I.e. Checking chambers and muzzle awareness, but I cannot abide by your logic of "you have time to chamber a round" because frankly sir you are wrong and you don't.

Having one in the pipe makes it a one handed operation, and the only sound will be the "click" from the safety, not some loud racking of the slide.
The element of surprise is your best defense.

i.imgur.com_7SRSE8o.jpg_c4ca4238a0b923820dcc509a6f75849b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom