• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Always check your barrel or possible Ruger 44 mag kaboom

CAMSDADDY

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
109   0
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I inherited a Ruger 44 mag carbine from my Dad. I remember trying to cycle a round and something not being right. The gun was set in the back of the safe and I thought about it the other day. I borrowed a few rounds from a friend and when I went to feed the rounds I realized the slide would not close. I shined my flash light down the barrel and it was dark. I then took a cleaning rod and realized the barrel was blocked. I tapped on the rod a few times and I found a small bullet I believe 7.62x52 or some sort of surplus ammo that was stuck in the barrel. I am thankful it was stuck far enough back that the round would not chamber or I would have simply loaded and shot and probably damaged the gun or worse.

All this to say if you have a gun that once belonged to someone who could have possibly been in a compromised mental state or an alcoholic always make sure the barrel is clear before firing the gun. That said I look forward to taking another deer with the Ruger this year and I will focus on the good times with my dad not the sometimes challenging ones.

Always check your barrels. ;)

R.bf551100543db98c7d12b453c9277646

I make it a practice to always strip-clean, including the barrel on any new gun, even from a gun-shop.....especially from a gun shop as there is often anti-corrosive grease present and although it will not destroy the gun itself, will most likely take the edge off of the expected accuracy. 2 cents...

Back
Top Bottom