• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Am I wrong? (delivery drivers)

Pay with a credit card and not debit card, and pay off credit card at end of month......That way you have protections with credit card company and don't give away access to your bank account.

That being said I still use my debit card, I just am careful about watching my balance and all my accounts to make sure there is no funny business.

A couple years ago I was managing a pizzeria/Italian restaurant. At the beginning of the shift we would give them a "bank" of $20 (two $5's and ten $1's). While most people paid by check many paid with cash so the driver was able to break larger bills. Our customers were good about letting us know when a large bill ($100) would be used, so we would adjust the "bank" to ensure the driver could provide change if necessary.
Our drivers made $2 per delivery + tips on top of their reduced hourly wage, the $2 was used to cover gas. Everyone fought for the delivery shifts as you tend to make $80-100+ on top of hourly.

Sorry to hear you have had bad experiences with delivery drivers. A thought is that you could always make sure they can break your $20 when placing the order...

I only order food when I am at work. I don't get an actual lunch break, I eat at my desk. So, it's either delivery or go hungry. I refuse to give out my card over the telephone. I got hacked/scammed twice last year doing that. So it's cash or nothing. I have told different places in the past that all I had was $20s, but it slipped my mind tonight.
Aren't you supposed to get at least 30 minutes for lunch? I thought it was illegal for an employer to not give a lunch break?

I put that on the driver. He should know to carry his own money to make change so he can get a tip!

Which chain was it?

I agree ..that's the first thing I thought of...if I were the delivery guy I would have a"bank" to work from everyday......it's THEIR responsibility, not the pizza store; however, it IS the store's responsibility to make sure the workers are prepared to do their jobs.

While I do not understand why I am being charged a delivery fee that specifically says that it doesn't go to the driver, I don't purposefully stiff the delivery driver. But, I sick of being cheated because they do not carry enough money to break a freaking $20 bill!!

:frusty: Rant over...

I am with you. How do they charge a delivery fee if it doesn't go to the driver? That to me seems the company makes more off a pizza when you have it delivered than when you pick it up. Ergo, 99% of the time I just go and pick it up. It guarantees it is hotter that way and I don't have to pay a delivery fee and a tip.

If they want the business, they should be able to provide change back. It is not very good customer service to not be able to accommodate your customers with what used to be a reasonable request of making change. Before credit cards became so common, they could always make change.

Rosewood

A couple years ago I was managing a pizzeria/Italian restaurant. At the beginning of the shift we would give them a "bank" of $20 (two $5's and ten $1's). While most people paid by check many paid with cash so the driver was able to break larger bills. Our customers were good about letting us know when a large bill ($100) would be used, so we would adjust the "bank" to ensure the driver could provide change if necessary.
Our drivers made $2 per delivery + tips on top of their reduced hourly wage, the $2 was used to cover gas. Everyone fought for the delivery shifts as you tend to make $80-100+ on top of hourly.

Sorry to hear you have had bad experiences with delivery drivers. A thought is that you could always make sure they can break your $20 when placing the order...
Kudos to you for making an intelligent delivery scenario possible.

Back
Top Bottom