• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Am I wrong? (delivery drivers)

Aren't you supposed to get at least 30 minutes for lunch? I thought it was illegal for an employer to not give a lunch break?
Nope, not illegal in Ga. unless you have a union contract.

you are right sir.
Wrong, look it up. Lunch breaks are company policies. In Ga. an employer can legally require you to work 8 hours straight with no breaks. After 8 hours the law changes. I know, I've worked those ****ty jobs and talked to the labor board to lodge a complaint. They said unless you have a union contract specifically requiring the employer to give breaks they can work you 8 hours without breaks.

Wrong, look it up. Lunch breaks are company policies. In Ga. an employer can legally require you to work 8 hours straight with no breaks. After 8 hours the law changes. I know, I've worked those ****ty jobs and talked to the labor board to lodge a complaint. They said unless you have a union contract specifically requiring the employer to give breaks they can work you 8 hours without breaks.
I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just trying to get clarification. My employer put up one of those billboards with employee rights and state laws and whatnot. One of them said what I posted above. Is what you're talking about still valid today or was it like that in the 80s?

Tazz Tazz is right. I worked for a furniture company pushing 8 hr days no break... when I questioned it the store manager handed me my application where I agreed to work up to 8 hours no break... bastards

The Chinese joint that delivers to me started using the Square readers, they only had the options of 18,19,20 & 25% and no tip. For one I do not trust people with **** connected to their smart phones, 2nd, their food is over priced in my opinion and we normally have a decent size order.
I am not tipping 13.00+ to drive 1.6 miles to my house. I would say the it is 15 min max for a round trip delivery for me 52.00/hour? NO WAY! I tip on service not over priced food in restaurants or delivery. I asked the girl if there was an option to just tip a certain amount, she rolled her eyes and said no, I sent her on her way with no tip. Its rare I order from there anymore.
I delivered pizza when I was younger, the "rich" folks were the worst tippers and often stiffers. The same customers repeatedly treated the drivers like **** so no one wanted to deliver to them, who ever got stuck taking the delivery would **** with their food, eat some of it or they would be last on the list if taking multiple runs, with my learning experience from those days, I am the nicest customer until my food arrives.
Back in those days there was no 3.00 delivery fee that the drivers never see, we did however get paid .75 per run from the pizza place plus hourly which was 7.00 I think.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just trying to get clarification. My employer put up one of those billboards with employee rights and state laws and whatnot. One of them said what I posted above. Is what you're talking about still valid today or was it like that in the 80s?
I don't have a clue if anything has changed but that was as late as Nov. of 2013.

Now that it is a new day and after a few hours of sleep, I am not as ornery as last night. First off, I can agree that being prepared to make or have the correct amount of money to pay for one's meal might be the best case scenario; I will not agree that it is the customer's responsibility to be able to break a $20. In my mind, you can take this same scenario into any business and the same logic applies. Saying that it is the customer's responsibility to make sure he/she has the exact amount they want to pay is akin to saying that I go to Lowes and need a box of nails. I take my box of nails to the counter and they ring up for $6.46 and the cashier saying, "Sir, I can't give you your $13.54 change back, I don't have money to make change for a $20." So, as the customer, I am left w/ a few choices: either leave my nails at the counter, buy 2 more boxes of nails or tip the cashier/company $13.54. Personally, I find none of these scenarios acceptable.

As far as lunch breaks go, I am not sure about the laws, but I do know that some professions do not fall under labor laws. I am not "officially" denied lunch breaks. I chose to stop taking them many, many, many years ago because I got tired of the work that was neglected while I was gone. Let me be clear, that was a personal choice. Now, they just assume that I won't take a lunch so no one comes to relieve me. That's fine, as long as I can get food and be able to eat at sometime during my 12 hours. If and when I need to run an errand or leave the building, I do. I misspoke/typed when I said I do not get a lunch break; I should have said that I don't take any breaks. At least, very rarely do I take a break.

Now, it is time to go pick up eggs, make sure everyone has water, and go back to bed since I have another 12 hours to do just around the corner.

A completely different rant on the same subject. There are no good pizza places down here but on occasion I feel the need for a pie. I ordered a pizza from Marcos and found out that they charge a delivery fee. So now you pay for the pizza, pay for delivery and I guess you're supposed to tip the driver as well?

Back
Top Bottom