• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Am I wrong? (delivery drivers)

I had a restaurant add a tip to my tab once,said it was for the server.
I deducted the amount and paid him the balance,told him I only tip for good service,and we would not be back.....

He was prepared. He had 2 $20's to cover a $24 bill and was gonna tip the guy $6.....driver didnt have $10 on him. Sounds like the driver was unprepared to me. It's the drivers job to be able to make change...or did the world tip on its axis and thats not the way it is anymore??
Whatever. This topic has been thoroughly flogged, ad infinitum, ad nauseam.

Nope, not illegal in Ga. unless you have a union contract.

Federal Wage and Hour law is that you have to have an unpaid 30 minute break in an 8 hour day. The way it works out, is a lot of people choose to work 8 straight, rather that work 8.5 hours with an unpaid break. It violates Federal law to require an hourly employee to work 8 hours with no break.

That said, any large corporate employer or government employer will usually require you to take your unpaid break sometime during the day to avoid complications.

To the O/P ;

Worked on an out of town project for about 2 years with a group of about 70. Same situation, worked through lunch at desk. We got on a first name basis with the delivery people from Jimmy Johns. Lots more variety. Became a real fan of JJ. About once a week we would get together and order pizza. We would take up a collection an pay cash.

The "no change" thing is a technique that the delivery people use.

Same thing in a restaurant. If you pay cash and are supposed to get a $5 bill back, you will get 5 $1 dollar bills.

I used to deliver pizzas. Every driver SHOULD have enough change to cover you, up to $20. The problem comes when you have a busy night and make more than one delivery in a trip. I had three deliveries and the first guy took all of my change. It only took once though, so after that, I had a stash in my car Just in case and replenished my change between deliveries. Piss poor planning on the management and the driver. The other option you could have taken would have been to call the store while the driver stood there and have someone else bring the change so you could pay. I have done that.

Ordered Chinese tonight. Said it would be 45 minutes, showed up in 20. 1st order was for $9.48, gave him a $20 and driver had change!! What??? 2nd order was for $22.xx, gave him $30 and driver had even more change!! But, I let him keep it since the 1st order thought .52c was enough of a tip. :mad: Which is another thing, not every one believes in tipping a driver. So, I always try to tip between $5-$10, depending on the distance they have to travel. But, every place we order from is w/in a mile of work.

To the O/P ;

Worked on an out of town project for about 2 years with a group of about 70. Same situation, worked through lunch at desk. We got on a first name basis with the delivery people from Jimmy Johns. Lots more variety. Became a real fan of JJ. About once a week we would get together and order pizza. We would take up a collection an pay cash.

Same thing in a restaurant. If you pay cash and are supposed to get a $5 bill back, you will get 5 $1 dollar bills.

Getting small bills back in change is completely different than not having change at all. It isn't a secret that wait staff give you small bills knowing you are planning to tip. To me that means that you are a pro and know how the restaurant industry works....

To the O/P ;

Five $1 bills = $5. Why is that a problem? Does it make your wallet too fat? It spends the same. Sounds like nit-picking to me.

To the O/P ;

Or when your change is $6-$9 and all ones. Can be irritating, but having worked as a bartender and waiter, perfectly understandable.

Back
Top Bottom