• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

American Magic first sail NZ...

I had no idea they had movable foils like that.

That's not sailing, that's flying low!

@GAGunguy
When they did the last America’s Cup in San Francisco they had catamarans foiling, it was brilliant to watch, this will be even better as the technology has improved immensely.

I remember when Australia II first won the cup. The boats now have virtually nothing in common with what they sailed then other than the wind.
The new technology is wonderful isn’t it? But Australia II had a winged keel which is the same principle, regrettably it weighed about 5 tons. :lol:

At what point does it become more about technology than seamanship?
It’s still sailing but under racing conditions, it’s just advanced technology, you still need sailing skills. However, seamanship to me is needed when you go out of the harbour into the wild blue yonder.

In that arena, for the most part one is racing my money against your money......crew skill and gadgetry included. I wonder how they would perform at sea vs flat water as shown. Regardless...amazing
The America’s Cup has always had an upper wind speed limit when they stop racing. These are not sea going vessels, they are designed for speed, therefore lightly constructed.

Back
Top Bottom