• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ammo for the old rifles questions . Mossin nagant and m1 garand

carlton wright

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
333   0
Reaction score
Question 1 is the old silver tip 7.62×54r really sought after and why?
Question 2 what's the best ammo for a m1 garand and what's a fair price for the ammo.
Bonus anyone ever shoot any api ammo out of the m1 and did it work as it should .
Bonus 2. How long can tracer ammo and api be expected to work properly if stored correctly.

alleycat alleycat

I'll jump in.

Q1:

Sought after? It goes bang but isn't that accurate. And it is corrosive. But it was issued by the Russian army so maybe that's a thing to someone?

I'd say 7N1 is DEFINITELY sought after! This was their sniper/penetrator round in 54R. Really hard to find these days. I don't even know what it costs...comes in a can with this printing on top:

fileqdbO3a

In addition, the individual wraps of 20rds have print on the outside.

For just banging around I'd use whatever's cheapest. If I'm looking to shoot for accuracy I'll use the match or 7N1. I've used Russian match 54R at 600yds at CMP with pretty good results out of my 23" VEPR.

Q2:

I really like the PPU Garand-specific ammo. More accurate than HXP. Reasonable price these days. I just bought one of these last week: https://ammoempire.com/node/4192

Free shipping + no sales tax = winning

I have the AP rounds and tracer but haven't shot them yet. I did pull a projectile out of one of the AP rounds and noticed some green stuff in the casing. Just a tinge. Not sure if it affects performance or not. Great vids on YT on this round.

No idea how long it can be stored.

1. The silver tip used to designate 147g bullet with a soft steel projectile but they stopped painting the tips at some point in time, so its less important to me. I watch the arsenal number myself, with russian factory 188 and bulgarian factory 10 being the cleanest and most consistent shooting of all i’ve tried. Factory 188 is also where they made the 7n1 that Hayata Hayata mentioned. The 7n1 is more consistant and accurate at distances over 125 yards but you wont see a big difference at shorter distances.

2. As others have said, the ppu garand ammo is good for plinking. They used to have some issues with the brass that caused jams when combined with certain enbloc clips but they've resolved that issue. I also like the Sellior Bellot and greek hxp ammo for plinking. My absolute favorite garand food is Creedmoor 168g garand match ammo from the CMP but its pretty pricey

PS...great deals on garand ammo can be found at sgammo.com especially if you buy in bulk

86696F1A-955E-4EDA-8F45-CC10B54C869C.jpeg

Thanks everyone . I do buy in bulk but I am running out of room for all the calibers. I seriously think I may have too much ammo and I am picking up another 1250 rounds in the morning. .

Ditto on the PPU Garand food. I need to check my 51R stuff, I had bought some 'match' ammo a while back, but not exactly sure what it was.

Ditto on the PPU Garand food. I need to check my 51R stuff, I had bought some 'match' ammo a while back, but not exactly sure what it was.

Was it commercial or look like this surplus?

www.libertytreecollectors.com_productcart_pc_catalog_762x54Rmatch.jpg

This is the stuff I had good results at CMP.

Wish I had bought more back when it was in stock...:grey:

Back
Top Bottom