• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ammo recommendation for new hunter - 243 ruger american

Mary H

Default rank <5 posts
New to The Trader!
1   0
Reaction score
I started deer hunting last year with a Ruger American 308 youth model. I’m a 100 lb female and it was a bit too much for me so I recently downgraded to a Ruger American 243. Looking for recommendations for best 243 ammo for deer hunting. It’s out of stock around here so I’ll have to order online. Thanks in advance!

Good evening Mary.

"Best" is a bit subjective. Most modern hunting loads that are tailored for the type of game you are pursuing will work just fine. You should try a few different loads and bullet weights to see what your rifle shoots the best. There are a lot of fine options available from Hornady, Federal, Winchester and others. Find some loads with 95gr bullets and larger that are intended for deer hunting and see what the rifle shoots the best.

Best of luck in the woods!

Good evening Mary.

"Best" is a bit subjective. Most modern hunting loads that are tailored for the type of game you are pursuing will work just fine. You should try a few different loads and bullet weights to see what your rifle shoots the best. There are a lot of fine options available from Hornady, Federal, Winchester and others. Find some loads with 95gr bullets and larger that are intended for deer hunting and see what the rifle shoots the best.

Best of luck in the woods!
+1

You may consider adding a muzzle brake to your 308.

243 is a great caliber but is often loaded with lightweight bullets for varmint hunting. Skip those as they won’t penetrate enough on larger game like deer. Looks for heavier weights (usually 90-105g in 243) and a bullet constructed for deer. Any brand that your rifle shoots well should do fine. I personally like the Federal Fusions or Hornady American Whitetail loads.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom