• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ammo recommendation for new hunter - 243 ruger american

Cabela's has a selection of ammo and free shipping on a couple boxes. I would try a 100gr soft point and an 85gr all-copper from a big name like Winchester. Federal is another and as is Hornady if the others are not available. Try at least two for groups from a bore cleaned before each.

If you get less than 1.5" groups, put any deer bullet through the shoulder blades of any deer. They only go straight down.

Nothing wrong with shooting a downed animal again for insurance with a .243. Bust it through the neck the second time. Shooting is fun.

Bigger groups, low lung but not heart. It'll run but you should be able to find it. It's a little harder with 243 than necessary, but thems the breaks.

If you don't like recoil, a lightweight 243 wasn't the answer. No big deal because 243 doesn't kill any better than 223, nor as well as 6.5 Grendel. You did not ask that and Ruger didn't sell the compact stock in one of those anyhow. Just FYI if you find you are not satisfied with the latest purchase.

It's old technology, but I like Winchester power points. Go with the heaviest bullet you can get. Now if you want to shoot long distance, you need a boat tail bullet. Not knowing your rate of twist in the barrel, you'll have to experiment with bullet weight till you find what works best. Another avenue is to hand load, then you can tailor it to what you want. Adding some weight and or recoil pad with help with recoil as well. Another idea is to down size to a 223 rifle. It wouldn't be my first pic to deer hunt. Thing is you don't want a weapon you can't be comfortable shooting. I far value a weapon you can comfortably shoot and hit what you're aiming at above everything else

Back
Top Bottom