• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ammunition question

IMG_20180420_092901.jpg

Some fine steel wool will make them look like new. Even faster if you have a Lee case trimmer base and an electric drill. Spin a few seconds and tarnish is all gone.

Some fine steel wool will make them look like new. Even faster if you have a Lee case trimmer base and an electric drill. Spin a few seconds and tarnish is all gone.
Excellent Idea! That would be quick and efficient. I didn't think of steel wool. Something to knock that crud off. That will let the casings eject a little easier.

As the case expands in the cylinder that crud could just plain cause the casing to stick in the cylinder or chamber. Just depends on the gun and the amount of crud. As long as they are half way clean and the primers are still in good shape you should be good to go. What concerns me the most is the oxidation on the casings. That usually means a moister rich environment. So there is that to take into consideration if you get a failure to discharge. Not the end of the world if you get most of them to ignite you are still coming out ahead.:peace:

Which ever way it goes it's an excellent example of why you should keep you ammo in a relatively dry environment. The best way is those plastic ammo containers with a desiccant bag in there with it. I ordered a bulk supply of those things on Amazon for next to nothing. I got the 4x5 inch ones and just thew one in each storage container.

Back
Top Bottom