• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

An AR15 is an AR15 is an AR15 .................................

OK I give up. I looked up "PTAC" and one definition was "previously thrown at curb". What is the meaning of that acronym as used in this thread ? Thanks.
I think it was supposed to be "practical tactical" but what you found might not be too far off from an accurate quality appraisal.

PSA is top of the line.

He is kidding

The name. For the money right now get a S&W M&P15 Sport II or a Colt AR 6920, 6720, etc (NOT Colt competition or expanse) and call it a day.

Good Advice here... stick with the Colt...

You can do lots of research, test a lot of guns and read everything there is and in the end you will come to a conclusion similar to this:

Colt is your best bet and value in AR's

Other top tier guns are great, but can cost you lots more than the Colt. Noveske, LWRC, LMT, Daniel Defense and some others may belong on this list

Lower tier AR's - you get what you pay for- sure they will work and probably work fine if you shoot 50-100 rounds through them a couple of times a year- but if your gonna run courses, competitions or want your rifle to protect you in the worst possible scenario, lower tier and lower price AR's will fail you sooner and at a higher rate than the higher tier guns.

Ask guys who run schools, they see all kinds of guns.

He is kidding

Good Advice here... stick with the Colt...

You can do lots of research, test a lot of guns and read everything there is and in the end you will come to a conclusion similar to this:

Colt is your best bet and value in AR's

Other top tier guns are great, but can cost you lots more than the Colt. Noveske, LWRC, LMT, Daniel Defense and some others may belong on this list

Lower tier AR's - you get what you pay for- sure they will work and probably work fine if you shoot 50-100 rounds through them a couple of times a year- but if your gonna run courses, competitions or want your rifle to protect you in the worst possible scenario, lower tier and lower price AR's will fail you sooner and at a higher rate than the higher tier guns.

Ask guys who run schools, they see all kinds of guns.
It's not 25 words but I like it.

I like building my own with quality parts. That's half the fun for me and I know they are put together right. That being said, I plan on buying a 6920 upper and putting it on an Aero lower soon.

I also think they stopped making cast lowers around 1990. They offered both up until that point. The marks on the lower identified the two If it was raised it was cast if it was recessed it was forged. There was a slight price difference of about 25 dollars if I remember correctly. For the money the consumer opted for the forged more often than not and so they quite manufacturing them around 1990. The fact that they were all cast is a wealth of grotesque misinformation.

Grotesque misinformation he says in the same post he gives misinformation.

Forged lowers are identified by a serial number that starts with "F". They didn't even start selling lowers until 1990 and the offered them in cast, stainless, and forged.

I said don't quote on the date. Like I said it's been what 20+ years. I just stated the fact the were not all cast. That's exactly what you said before you looked it up. I was just rattling of some of what I remember. I no history buff by no means. I knew they offered other choices I just wasn't aware of the stainless. We both gave some info wrong. It's no big deal. Can we stop the pecker measuring contest now and help out the OP.

I said don't quote on the date. Like I said it's been what 20+ years. I just stated the fact the were not all cast. That's exactly what you said before you looked it up. I was just rattling of some of what I remember. I no history buff by no means. I knew they offered other choices I just wasn't aware of the stainless. We both gave some info wrong. It's no big deal. Can we stop the pecker measuring contest now and help out the OP.

Read what I wrote. I didn't day they only made cast, I said their first were cast. I haven't looked anything up. I lived through it. DPMS was always a budget offering.

The old saying was A,B, or C. Armalite, Bushy, or Copy. Anything else was considered budget.

In truth compared to today's ARs they were all garbage.

Back
Top Bottom