• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anatomy of a flinch, or why I dislike .40

To me, shooting at live or reactive targets takes the mind off of the weapon and channels it more to the target. IOW...find something fun to shoot other than paper. It will train you mind and body to ignore the recoil.

Yeah it's tough to hold the phone and shoot at the same time. I tried it a while back shooting my 91/30 Mosin. Maybe the flinch thing is all mental. Well hell, of course it is. Anyway they are mechanically the same pistol. So it seems like you could figure out the 40. Granted I have very little experience with 40. The only 40s I've shot were both Glocks.
Start shooting 45ACP or 10mm for a while. After that 40 will seem mild.

You are exactly right, I see it at our club all the time.
Typical example would be a lady shooting a .22 first then shooting her .38.
The .38 then feels like a monster - and she's shooting poorly.

But have her shoot the .38 first and she's on the money and when you hand her the .22 she's shooting groups like a bench rest guy. I see this with guys and gals all the time.

(Always have them shoot the bigger gun first, so as you said if he started shooting with a 10mm and then dropped down to the .40 I'll bet that flinch comes up missing.)

You also made the point well that it is all mental. :thumb:
I sometimes shoot a Ruger in .454, it took me awhile to shoot the 1st round as accurate and the 2nd, 3rd...
Because on the first round, I knew it was gonna be like a stick of dynamite and seemed to think I have to hold it real tight so it didn't fly out of my hand.
I wanted to hunt with it but didn't the first season, because I couldn't make that first round count.
I still have to think about it, so I don't blow that first round.
The gun is not going to blow apart in my hands and it's not going to come loose from my grip and if you don't want to shoot something that's like holding a stick of dynamite shoot something else.
Then the first round is on the money.

Yeah it's tough to hold the phone and shoot at the same time. I tried it a while back shooting my 91/30 Mosin. Maybe the flinch thing is all mental. Well hell, of course it is. Anyway they are mechanically the same pistol. So it seems like you could figure out the 40. Granted I have very little experience with 40. The only 40s I've shot were both Glocks.
Start shooting 45ACP or 10mm for a while. After that 40 will seem mild.

you would be surprised how that might actually not help. Im with him in the fact taht i cant shoot .40 for ****, its just too snappy for me. Now .45 and 10mm on the other hand i can shoot excellent, this is due to the type of recoil. Like i said the .40 always seems very snappy where as the .45 and 10mm have always felt like more of a "push" and the push just feels much easier to control than the snap

Back
Top Bottom