• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

And that thread was just getting good....

Doesn't.
The issue I have with the legal mumbo-jumbo posted here is the lack of the word "knowingly"...

"An individual who KNOWINGLY aids and abets a felon's firearm ownership can be charged as an accomplice to the felon-in-possession offense, pursuant to 18 USC § 2(a)."

He stated that he knew his buddy was a felon. Would the not make it knowingly?

This was my expression reading the thread
161.gif

Sorry... I did not read the thread in question... I was merely referring to the statute quoted and stating my humble opinion.

Well at least go back and read the original version (not the quoted version with fewer details) in the original post, where I tried to cover the "knowledge" aspect and court interpretations:

However, by Federal Code, if you cannot establish your innocence of aiding and abetting a felon's firearm ownership, An individual who aids and abets a felon's firearm ownership can be charged as an accomplice to the felon-in-possession offense, pursuant to 18 USC § 2(a). The circuit courts currently are split over whether a defendant charged with aiding and abetting a felon under § 922(g)(1) can be held strictly liable for knowing the principal's status as a convicted felon. Some circuits apply a strict liability standard, while other circuits insist that the defendant must possess knowledge or "reasonable cause to believe" that the principal is a convicted felon for the defendant to be convicted as an accomplice under § 922(g)(1).​

Okay, just for you @Omega, let's review (cliff notes version)...

Dude #1 lets "friend" borrow car to go to store for a pack of smokes, or so Dude #1 thinks.

Dude #1 was moving the day before and left guns, ammo, and other accessories in trunk of car.

"Friend" actually is on a drug-related run, with possible intent to distribute, and gets caught while driving Dude #1's car.

Dude #1 learns (or did he already know??) that "friend" is a convicted felon and, now, convicted felon is in possession of multiple firearms.

Dude #1 doesn't know what to do so he turns to the all knowing ODT to help him sort things out. In turn, the ODT scares the bejesus out of him and deletes thread in fear of self-incrimination.

TUNE IN AGAIN NEXT WEEK FOR ANOTHER EXCITING ADVENTURE OF FELON MAN.

I commented on it, went back to see where it was going but it was gone.

I told him lesson learned about not getting guns back. Possibly more trouble for doing what he did. But I'm no lawyer.

I had a guy at work cleaning out my truck. Really good guy. I was unaware he was a felon. I had some ammo in my console. He came to me and said I need to move it before he would finish. He was trying to get his life back together (and doing a good job of it). He said he wouldn't even take the risk of his finger print being on a bullet.

Back
Top Bottom