• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Another beginner

• Do I need to invest in a "trimmer" and a tumbler?
Tumbler: When I started helping my Dad reload 45 auto 50+ years ago we did not have a tumbler. We washed our brass in warm soapy water with steel wool and a bronze bore brush. Currently I use a stainless steel pin tumble system. I picked up a 5 lb bag of pins from "guntap" on line. I am using an inexpensive rock tumbler from Harbor Freight. They offer a single drum and a dual drum version. I reload enough that I chose the dual drum system. They are currently on sale for Single $42. and double $55. I like the way that system cleans inside, outside, and primer pockets of the brass. It also doesn't require cleaning tumble media out of the primer pocket after you tumble. I expect you will be able to fit at least 100 9 mm cases in each drum along with about 1-1.5 lbs of media per drum. The pins are reusable; I haven't worn any out yet vs. having to replace your tumble media with other systems. For cleaning fluid I use white vinegar with a very little simple green thrown in. I have heard of all kinds of different cleaning fluids folks have used. I am sharing this info as one economical solution for your brass cleaning. It is inexpensive to get into, minimum upkeep, space saving, and you don't have to keep purchasing and disposing of media. Have fun!

2 die sets are general bottle neck rifle dies/. In that case, you full resize (not just the neck, but the body of the case) and you press the bullet in.

3 dies sets are generally straight wall pistol dies. One is an expander for the mouth of the case, on is a carbide resizer and one is the bullet sticker inner.

I haven'seen 4 die sets, but it could be a crimper in addition to the 3 die set.

I do use Lee factory crimp dies on my 5.56 and 7.62 loads.

You're correct SOL, the 4th die in a 4 die set is the crimping die.

I don't lube straight walled pistol cases. I just polish them pretty good. I used Evan Williams for personal lubricant for a number of years but have settled on Jim Beam. For the money a decent personal lubricant.

The 4th handgun die is a Lee factory crimp die (FCD).

I use the FCD on all my rifle ammo and much of my handgun. A lee Bulge buster used with the FCD will push the round through the die and resize the entire length of case.

The only way to get more accurately sized cased is to "roll size" the cases. This is typically doe by folks selling reloads and avid competition shooters.

9mm is actually trickier to reload than .38, .357, .40 or .45 ACP as it is a tapered case.

http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/the-dreaded-9mm-bulge.233048/#post-1295278

9mm reloading pearls: http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/reloading-9mm-pearls.315678/#post-1701634

Back
Top Bottom