• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Another Garand added to the collection

dadx3

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
10   0
Reaction score
I have been looking for a nice HRA M1 so I decided to make the approximately 3 hour drive from north of Atlanta to Birmingham to check out the Alabama Gun Collectors Gun Show. Of course, I had to stop and check CMP as I passed by but they had no HRAs.

The gun show was much better than I am used to seeing around Atlanta with a fair amount of interesting stuff to look over. Most of the Garands and Carbines were priced kinda high as typical for gunshows.

I came across a private seller who was set up at a single table liquidating some of his collection. I ended up buying HRA 4730629 for $950. It appears to be all correct and in Service Grade condition with ME 1.5 and TE 3, with really tight lockup of the trigger guard/stock. The stock has various dents and dings, but overall looks very good with a nice DAS. It also has the CMP Certificate from January 2004.
I haven't had a chance to get pics yet, but will work on that tonight, as well as stripping it to check the parts.

Fantastic! I'll be looking to add my first Garand in the coming year, truly a dream rifle of mine. My grandfather was part of the Army Marksmanship Unit traveling to competitions around the US. I held onto one of the plaques when he passed on and have it hanging in my "man cave" from one they won. Though I'll never find the rifle he shot, just having one will bring back all the memories of him.

The new house and wedding expenses has really drained my gun budget. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your new Garand.

I have been looking for a nice HRA M1 so I decided to make the approximately 3 hour drive from north of Atlanta to Birmingham to check out the Alabama Gun Collectors Gun Show. Of course, I had to stop and check CMP as I passed by but they had no HRAs.

The gun show was much better than I am used to seeing around Atlanta with a fair amount of interesting stuff to look over. Most of the Garands and Carbines were priced kinda high as typical for gunshows.

I came across a private seller who was set up at a single table liquidating some of his collection. I ended up buying HRA 4730629 for $950. It appears to be all correct and in Service Grade condition with ME 1.5 and TE 3, with really tight lockup of the trigger guard/stock. The stock has various dents and dings, but overall looks very good with a nice DAS. It also has the CMP Certificate from January 2004.
I haven't had a chance to get pics yet, but will work on that tonight, as well as stripping it to check the parts.

Any reason you chose the HRA? My Garand addiction started with just wanting a WWII rifle so I got a Springfield. Then I decided well Winchester made Garands in WWII so I'll stop with two Garands. I was at the CMP and an IHC Service Grade was priced as a Field Grade so I took it to the counter not wanting a tractor rifle and the staff said we will sell it at the lower price and another shopper said TAKE it. So there I was with 3 of 4 manufactures and said what the hell add an HRA.

Of course I didn't want to wear out any of my collection so I justified a "spare" shooter Springfield Garand. The disease is known as Garanditis!

Any reason you chose the HRA? My Garand addiction started with just wanting a WWII rifle so I got a Springfield. Then I decided well Winchester made Garands in WWII so I'll stop with two Garands. I was at the CMP and an IHC Service Grade was priced as a Field Grade so I took it to the counter not wanting a tractor rifle and the staff said we will sell it at the lower price and another shopper said TAKE it. So there I was with 3 of 4 manufactures and said what the hell add an HRA.

Of course I didn't want to wear out any of my collection so I justified a "spare" shooter Springfield Garand. The disease is known as Garanditis!

I already have a couple of Springfields and a couple of Winchesters. Was looking at another HRA recently, but waited too long and missed it; I guess that gave me the bug to find a good one.

Now I have the bug to find a good tractor gun, but cant do anything until I build up my funds. Maybe I should try and trade one of my Winnies for an IHC? Dang, that thought hurts a little.

Fantastic! I'll be looking to add my first Garand in the coming year, truly a dream rifle of mine. My grandfather was part of the Army Marksmanship Unit traveling to competitions around the US. I held onto one of the plaques when he passed on and have it hanging in my "man cave" from one they won. Though I'll never find the rifle he shot, just having one will bring back all the memories of him.

The new house and wedding expenses has really drained my gun budget. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your new Garand.

If you know the serial number of his rifle you should post it on the CMP forums, or even call their customer service number. They have in the past connected people with particular rifles. Especially if it was a National Match, you may be able to locate it, although a National Match will cost a good bit more than standard M1s.

Here are some quick photos I took of it.

e208213756cafe79597dd88e220ad0f2.jpg
ef1f3bcf9d367a3b39e838ff85b6fd5f.heic
26987ec675f7d6f8b2c364698b0b4a55.jpg
10d64a04eb129580593218a449a949bc.jpg
392367edaf062528a75d102f219927d4.jpg
ced2123ce07437b06d43ba05a45ec583.jpg
f5cce02a68a0760a78e2275c949e705e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom