• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Another "good boy, trying to turn his life around" takes a dirt nap.

I love a happy ending.

What kind of idiot expects a dog-walker to have valuables with them?

A fatally stupid one, I suppose.
Well, it says man walking a dog so it could be anybody. He could have been dressed nice or maybe he was texting on a iPhone X. A nice phone it even the possibility of some cash is enough for some people to commit armed robbery.

Give me the pooch and no one gets hurt.
The puppy I met this morning I was tempted to steal hahahaha
IMG_6645.JPG

The whole phone theft thing is silly-- just like being tied to particular plans and carriers via long-term contracts, the American consumer is about 20 years behind much of the rest of the world.

Phones can be trivially blacklisted in about 30 seconds nationwide, all carriers. But the carriers can't make money off the new owners then, so they haven't implemented the blocking in the states. They did in Europe in the early 2000s and cut phone theft like 95%. Now if stolen, they have to be shipped off to the third world somewhere or they don't work. Your average thug has no way to sell into that market, so loses interest in stealing phones.

If the public would ever demand blacklisting, directly or via congress, this problem would vanish overnight. The technology is trivial, it exists, and costs basically nothing, but there's no pressure to implement it.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong...

Back
Top Bottom