• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Another "Looking for Info on my S&W revolver" thread

jaybees

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
13   1
Reaction score
Pick this up at the hock shop yesterday for $120 out the door. It's 38 s&w (not special). Number on bottom of grip is 77146. Same number stamped on inside front of cylinder. With cylinder open, there is a "J" centered above the number 65483 stamped on the frame. On the crane itself, also stamped 65483. With grips removed,on the right inside, "77" above "140". That's everything on it that's stamped. From what info I've found, it could be a 32/.38 Terrier. But every time I think I've figured out exactly what it is, I find conflicting info that negates what I previously thought. Thanks. Pics are included.

Attachments

• IMG_0389.JPG
    IMG_0389.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0391.JPG
    IMG_0391.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0393.JPG
    IMG_0393.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0394.JPG
    IMG_0394.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0395.JPG
    IMG_0395.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 15
You are correct, it's a .38/32 Terrier. Based on the SN it's a post-war model.

The 70 over 140 would be the SN of the gun (usually). Could the zero actually be a 6? It's quite possible that Smith $ Wesson mixed up the grips between guns just prior to final finish and packing.

Also, does your gun have a coil or flat, leaf style mainspring?

At any rate, you got a smoking deal @ $120 OTD.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Your Terrier is a beauty, even with some of the finish issues.. The serial number is the one on the bottom of the grip strap and on the cylinder face and under the barrel and on the inside of the right grip. The other numbers are assembly numbers from the factory. You can see that the front sight on yours is the newer ramp style which is different from the half moon of the earlier guns. Your Terrier has the upper side plate screw which was eliminated in 1955, so it is definitely pre-1955. It appears that yours has the coiled mainspring, 4 screws and would be considered the Improved I frame, which was introduced in 1953. Looks like we are starting to narrow down the year. If I had to guess, and it would be a guess based on what I have read, I would say it is a middle to late 1953. If I remember correctly, post war I frame serial numbers run from around 60,000 to appoximately 125,000. Don't quote me on that, I could be wrong.

From you pictures, I see the same serial number on the grip strap, the cylinder face and on the grip panel. I would check the barrel flat in front of the cylinder, but I would guess it is the same as the other serial numbers.

Nice ole Smith & Wesson. I have always thought the terriers were cool little revolvers.

Back
Top Bottom