• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Another Ruger Mark IV Problem - Update

Ruger may have excellent customer service and will make it right, but I will not buy a new MKIV knowing I have to go through the hassle of a recall. Really thought I wanted one. May have to learn how to take down a MK3.
Remember the LCP? Sold mine.

Ruger may have excellent customer service and will make it right, but I will not buy a new MKIV knowing I have to go through the hassle of a recall. Really thought I wanted one. May have to learn how to take down a MK3.
Remember the LCP? Sold mine.
It's really not that difficult. The first time can be, but then it's easy the next time. He'll, I rarely clean mine. Maybe 5k rounds or so.

Looks more stamped to me ? Usually what they've used, and cheaper to make than mim.

Look at the chamferd edges and radiased cutouts. Definitely not stamped, although MiM is a form of stamping, but it uses powdered metal instead of bar stock.

Who would buy a chisel or punch that is MiM. That is what you are asking a firing pin to do .

Ruger uses customers as their QC dept.

Last few years ive sent back 2 Smiths, Sig, Remington and Springfield. All were New purchases. Id rather have a 22 that is easy to take down than one that takes an octopus to assemble. Im sure Ruger will fix it do its just a temporary set back. Pick another pistol to shoot and send it in.

Just an update - I received an RMA on Nov 20th, and sent it to Ruger. On Nov 22nd, I received an email from Ruger acknowledging receipt of the pistol. That is the last that I have heard. I knew the Thanksgiving holidays would slow the turn-around time, but I was thinking that by now I would have received another email about it headed my way. It is not a big deal. I would rather them take their time and get it exactly right.

It makes me wonder what they are going to do with the firing pin. The new style firing pin seems to have a very high failure rate. The damage that it caused to the barrel is major and will be a costly repair. Do they install the new style firing pin again risking a repeat performance? You know Ruger's engineers, managers, etc. have to be discussing this. They need to figure out a path forward and do it now. If I was king of Ruger, I would be replacing the firing pins with the old style with known and proven durability. If I wanted to redesign the firing pin, at least that buys some time and gets the damaged pistols repaired and with pretty good odds of not seeing that pistol again.

Just an update - I received an RMA on Nov 20th, and sent it to Ruger. On Nov 22nd, I received an email from Ruger acknowledging receipt of the pistol. That is the last that I have heard. I knew the Thanksgiving holidays would slow the turn-around time, but I was thinking that by now I would have received another email about it headed my way. It is not a big deal. I would rather them take their time and get it exactly right.

It makes me wonder what they are going to do with the firing pin. The new style firing pin seems to have a very high failure rate. The damage that it caused to the barrel is major and will be a costly repair. Do they install the new style firing pin again risking a repeat performance? You know Ruger's engineers, managers, etc. have to be discussing this. They need to figure out a path forward and do it now. If I was king of Ruger, I would be replacing the firing pins with the old style with known and proven durability. If I wanted to redesign the firing pin, at least that buys some time and gets the damaged pistols repaired and with pretty good odds of not seeing that pistol again.

I have heard nothing about this issue from Ruger.

Back
Top Bottom