• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

answer me this question! why the heck are you all so concerned about round count.

There it is 36 fat friends gets it. Again the average shooter puts less than 500 round thru a gun in a life time. If I had a bench gun I would list the round count it would be important but listing that my 10/22 has a low round count is STUPID!

I put 300 rounds through a pistol last night.

on certain guns it matters due to barrel rifling wear or if it's a collectible firearm. there are the people whom ask the round count a of a mil-surp rifles, I doubt even the russians knew how many rounds a specific mosin fired

There are certainly barrels where round count matters, but they are a rarified case. 6mm Creedmoor, 6.5x284 spring immediately to mind, where the difference between 200 and 700 rounds makes a couple of hundred dollars difference in the value of the gun. But those are special cases. I've got a 6.5x284, and basically it costs me 35 cents in barrel life every time I pull the trigger. Don't buy a 6.5x284. : ) Get a 6.5 Creedmoor.

There are "hunting" calibers though where is also matters, though indeed, most hunters will never approach the limits. .243 Win? .22-250? .300 RUM? I wouldn't really want a Rem 700 in those calibers with more than say 500 rounds through it-- if the seller's wrong, or fibbing, and it's actually 700 rounds... you're going to need a new barrel in a few hundred more shots, and 700 rebarreling isn't cheap. Which is why I lean Savage. But hey, I shoot my guns a lot. Most people don't.

I'd be leery of a 1911 with several thousand rounds through it, unless the seller clearly knew enough to change springs regularly. If you don't, and sometimes even if you do, the frame or slide will crack with enough rounds. Got a buddy with a cracked Springfield slide right now-- and he has religiously changed the springs. Gun probably doesn't have 10K rounds. I've got one with 15K; no problems so far. Luck of the draw to some extent, but the fewer miles it's got on it, the longer it will last during your ownership.

Back
Top Bottom