• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Antique restoration

This is what I do when I find a half decent old Singer sewing machine. As you can see by the clutter my wife puts it to good use.
2E12AD42-E0D7-47E4-B1F3-16C3E0C58555.jpeg

Sadly, "brown furniture" has become nearly impossible to sell and the larger pieces languish for months and years on sales floors. A lot of it has been "updated" with chalk paint and sand paper in order to make it saleable. I'm glad I am out of that business altogether now. Sad.

I love old pine furniture but it has gone out of style. My favorite was a pine hutch in a butler's pantry that took gallons of death dealing stripper to get the lead based primer off. I suspect the hutch was removed when the new owners of the house renovated the kitchen. I have a similar hutch from my Grandmother that I don't have room for anymore and can't find an interested buyer.

Sadly, "brown furniture" has become nearly impossible to sell and the larger pieces languish for months and years on sales floors. A lot of it has been "updated" with chalk paint and sand paper in order to make it saleable. I'm glad I am out of that business altogether now. Sad.
I understand that 100% oh, my wife is a big shabby chic finisher I have to beg her not to paint some of these beautiful pieces

I love old pine furniture but it has gone out of style. My favorite was a pine hutch in a butler's pantry that took gallons of death dealing stripper to get the lead based primer off. I suspect the hutch was removed when the new owners of the house renovated the kitchen. I have a similar hutch from my Grandmother that I don't have room for anymore and can't find an interested buyer.
Always interested here

Old Auction house Trick , We were in the far eastern section of the state about 50 miles from the Hudson River area. Funny but my auctioner figures out the " Farm Type stuff Pine ect sold very well at his auctions Empire furniture ( dark Vaneer ) showed no interest and most had water stains or damage.
SO he would have us strip the Vaneer off and redo the pine underneath Worked every time sale price jumped on the damaged Empire As I said before it's lost skill and Knowledge of what and how to do it

When we were married in 1976, my wife received an oak pedestal table and 6 chairs that belonged to her grandmother, then passed to my wife's mother and then to my wife. It had been in her mother's basement for many years and been through a few flooded basements. Luckily, her mother had painted it several times, effectively sealing all the wood. We spent a lot of time stripping the old paint to reveal beautiful quarter-sawn oak. We still use the table and it still looks great after 45 more years of use!

Back
Top Bottom