• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any 6.5 creedmoor reloaders?

I have some Berger 130VLD and 135 Classic hunter bullets that I am going to try. I have read that it is best to use the Redding micrometer seating die on the Bergers, so as to not mess up the long profile on them. Anyone had any problems with Bergers, and is there any special trick to seating them?

You should be fine with most seating dies. Most of the die companies make a VLD seating steam if your die does mark the bullets. IMHO no need for a micro seating die just because you don't want to hurt the bullet profile. Get the micro because you want to be able to adjust the bullet seating depth very precisely.

Berger like to be seated to a specific depth, that's why I would recommend the micrometer so that you would have that setting later.

I have been resizing some Winchester brass, and when done, they measure 1.918 to 1.923, with a few at 1.924. I am not going to competition shoot, so should I trim, or just touch them on the case prep machine? Is .003 worth taking off?

I have some Berger 130VLD and 135 Classic hunter bullets that I am going to try. I have read that it is best to use the Redding micrometer seating die on the Bergers, so as to not mess up the long profile on them. Anyone had any problems with Bergers, and is there any special trick to seating them?

The 135 Classics will be less sensitive to seating depth. You can prob load them to 2.8 COAL and play with powder charge.

The vld's you usually have to play with seating depth. Berger has an article that explains about how to do your load development on vld's.

If you are not running mags that let you seat longer than 2.8 then the 135's will probably be the easiest to get to shoot.

I had best groups with H4350 and RL17, and RL17 gave me a little more velocity.

The 135 Classics will be less sensitive to seating depth. You can prob load them to 2.8 COAL and play with powder charge.

The vld's you usually have to play with seating depth. Berger has an article that explains about how to do your load development on vld's.

If you are not running mags that let you seat longer than 2.8 then the 135's will probably be the easiest to get to shoot.

I had best groups with H4350 and RL17, and RL17 gave me a little more velocity.
Yep, I have watched the Berger video a couple of times, as well as talking to the guys at Berger. They are very helpful. I told him that I was going to try the two different bullets with H4350, but there was no load data on their website for the 135 classic hunter using that powder. Sure, I could have found a similar powder to get a starting load, but he asked me to email him all of my variables, so that he could forward it to the technical department for testing. About two weeks later I got a phone call from their the tech guys with H4350 load data. Nice bunch of guys and great customer service. I sure hope the bullets perform well, as I am hoping to use them in a 6.5 CM and a 6.5 Swede.

I've used a standard two die set and have seat quite a many 140 VLD with zero issues. I'm not guru by a loooooong stretch. I've had no issues and used no tricks seating these bullets.

Back
Top Bottom