• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any Bicyclists in the house? Road? Mountain? Hybrid?

What are good used bikes, and how do I get one sized for me. I'm 6'3".

I've looked on CL at Specialized stumpjumper, Novara, Trek, etc. but can't tell much about frame size as some at 18" and some are up to 21".

You are.probably around 19-21
Depending on tire size..head tube will come into play also..

What are good used bikes, and how do I get one sized for me. I'm 6'3".

I've looked on CL at Specialized stumpjumper, Novara, Trek, etc. but can't tell much about frame size as some at 18" and some are up to 21".

Consider this site for new or clearance deals, http://www.bikesdirect.com/
http://www.bikesdirect.com/
There are lots of YouTube video reviews on the bikes they sell. You may find decent deals on Craig's List or trade-ins at bike stores. After much searching online, I bought my fat tire bike last spring, SE F@E (made by Fuji) from the deals page at http://www.motostrano.com/ before they switched to selling e-bikes. It was a $1600 bike at the local Fuji dealer that cost me $734 with shipping. IMHO, it's the most comfortable mountain bike for a 55+ year old to ride. I tried riding my daughter's mountain bike and it was very uncomfortable. Those 2.0" wide tires cause you to feel every bump. With 4 inch fatties, it's a quiet comfortable ride on an ATV trail with potholes and tree roots to cross.

You might want to go to a Fuji or local bike dealer which can give you a size check into the size frame you will need. The bike below has a 12" frame for my 5'8" height. My initial thoughts were that I needed a larger frame, but not so. They did away with the horizontal cross bar so all frames are now unisex. The wheels with the tires are 27" tall. The frame and wheels are aluminum, the bike weighs 35 pounds. Most of the Walmart bikes have steel frames, like the fat tire Mongoose, and can weigh 50+ pounds. Gook luck with your search.

SE F@E with Fat Runners.jpg

i'm just gonna toss in my .02 here.... it's going to be very hard to find a reliable MTB for $150. But if you do find a used one, make sure you check out the bicycle blue book so you don't get ripped off. As far as size, you will need a large for sure. I'm 5'8 and ride a medium. My Trek ex8 full suspension retailed for $2800, and now I'm trying to sell it for $1400.

Also, in case any current MTB'rs are looking for some upcoming great rides, The Fried Green 50 out of Juliette is November 5th, and the first Sasquatch 125/200 with camping at Veteran's State Park is November 18th and 19th.

Sloemoe- thanks for that. You make a point that is why I asked. When I search CL, I see a number of older bikes, no front suspension, for a couple hundred and more, and some known brands like Cannondale and Gary Fisher for which there is name recognition, but I don't know enough to know whether it's worth having, even at say $300. Without knowing that I'll enjoy riding, or put it in use, I can't imagine spending $6-800 on a bike, much less $2K+.

I'll probably buy something in the $200 range and see how I like it, how much I use it and see where I end up from there.

If you are just starting out, check out the Gary Fisher Mamba, Trek Excalibur. Also, Giant makes some descent entry level bikes. But here's the deal.... don't be afraid to spend that $600-$800 price tag. You will get some of your money back if you decide to sell it down the road, or, in most cases, you will want to upgrade because you are enjoying yourself. GA has an awesome cycling community and there are trails galore to discover. Something for everyone; from beginner to advanced. I've made some great friends riding both mountain and road bikes, and it's a positive way for us folks with knee issues to exercise without the pain.
Other search areas are the MTB Swap Meet on Fb, and mtbr.com. There are also local chapters of IMBA throughout GA that I'm sure ppl are selling bikes all the time. Hope this helps, and if there's anything I can try and help with, hit me up.

Thanks sloe_moe. I'll look into these.

If any of you MTB guys are unaware, there is a new trail system in development in Cleveland. I's a lot of land that is owned by the state and has been deeded to the county for development. The plan is 21 miles of MTB trails, and the land is around 1,500 acres with a 57 acre lake, which will allow use of canoes and kayaks. No horses or motors on the property is the plan.

The MTB trails are being developed by a GA MTB club (don't recall the moniker) and the state secured $90K for development work, but the club is blazing the trail and having fundraisers.

https://www.yonahpreservetrails.com/

My property adjoins the trail property and I've walked a bit of it. It's beautiful land

A good, basic new mountain bike with front shocks can be purchased for about $250. Here's one: http://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10053_10052_602719_-1___204686. But you'll have to partially assemble it yourself. I think you can get a good one for $250 to $350 at a local bike shop which has expert mechanics on duty.

I bought a similar large-frame Giant mountain bike for my 6'3" son from Nashbar years ago for $250. He used it in college and it's been a great bike.

The main issue is to get a well-designed frame and expert assembly upon purchase. Places like Wal-Mart do not know how to properly assemble bicycles.

You'll either ride it occasionally, or you'll become motivated and spend far more on accessories than you do on the bike. Helmet, min. $30. Gloves, $15. Shorts, $40. Various saddle bags, a tire pump, spare parts, etc., $200.

It's just like buying a gun. The gun is the cheapest part. Then the holsters, supplies, range bags, ear and eye protection, on and on.

I've had bikes for my entire life, including what I think was the first 5-speed on the market ( a Schwinn banana-seat bike from J.C. Penney). My 25-year old Specialized road bike hasn't been ridden for 2 years, but I won't part with it and I'm always making plans to tune it up and take it for a ride. Maybe this weekend, if I have time?

New or used, get one and either learn basic bike repair or locate a good local bike shop and be ready to pay for tune-ups and repairs. Few things are as much fun as riding on 2 wheels!

4.bp.blogspot.com__80uqRhDtP2g_SfoaaPUrQ3I_AAAAAAAAAZQ_cWue5TM7c7324a7fc3244558d2117577d124fc2.jpg

It’s that time of year! Just rode for 1hr :40 minutes. . Battery dead in computer will have to map it.

I did 40 miles yesterday with our Saturday morning group and got caught in a cold thunderstorm about 10 miles from Rome. I rode all through the winter but not as much as warm weather months.

Back
Top Bottom