• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any Bicyclists in the house? Road? Mountain? Hybrid?

I stand corrected, but also want to keep all cyclists in mind that 2 abreast or in center of lane could lead to serious consequences for rider or veh driver and passengers if in a blind curve or on real narrow roads with 45+ speed limits. Please just use common sense as far as safety is concerned and don't always rely on written laws for protection.
I respect riders rights and live on a triathalon route and enjoy watching all the brightly colored and equipped riders in the race or practicing for it, I have even stood by the road with water bottles for any that wanted it on hot summer rides, I always give the 3 feet even though I am breaking driving laws by crossing centerlines to get the 3 feet clearance.

RiverBend RiverBend

Let me offer you another perspective from the cyclist point of view that could be viewed as common sense by us. I've been a cyclist for 33 years and ridding 10s of thousands of miles....used to own a bike shop and have spent a LOT of time on the road. With that said I would like to offer the following thoughts on the matter.

1. Cyclist can be our own worst enemy....we claim to have the same rights as vehicles and often break them. I am guilty of this and it is a bad optic at times. Just like there are bad drivers, there are discourteous cyclist. I try to be respectful and I take every effort I can to keep myself safe, however a driver will NOT understand why I do some things I do at times...

2. I usually ride about 1' from the fog line..not right on it just so I have room to move if I need too. Also the pavement is clear of glass versus the fog line which is normally where glass, gravel, and dead animals collect...many drivers seem to expect us to ride on the fog line and that isn't safe an often there is NO SHOULDER, so riding inside the lane isn't only preferred, it is necessary at times.

3.* Blind hills and blind turns....This will be counter intuitive to a non cyclist...as I approach a blind hill or blind turn I tend to ride closer to the center of the lane in an effort to give myself room to maneuver and also purposely cause cars behind me to slow down and pass safely. Numerous times early in my cycling experience I tried to be courteous and ride the white line, giving drivers the impression that they could "sneak by" on a blind turn/hill only to be met with oncoming traffic and have them swerve and force me into the ditch.

*This action is the PRIMARY action that I wish drivers could understand. I am do thing for my protection and the protection of all motorist on the road way. This is what seems to madden drivers but they have no frame of reference for WHY we do it......I wish all people could experience this and they would have a greater understanding for WHY we cyclists, at times, take more of the road that a driver deems necessary. Until you've been pushed into the ditch it's hard to understand the necessity. The whole "walk a mile in someone's shoes" comes to mind here..

understood, however a cyclist going into a ditch is much loess likely to end up with fatalities than a head on collision with 2 vehicles due to going around a 10 mph cycle going uphill around a curve in the center of the lane. I hope neither occur but the likelihood is there since it almost happened to my wife and I yesterday on our way home from Church. Lets all be safe and respectful of each other from both sides of this issue.

understood, however a cyclist going into a ditch is much loess likely to end up with fatalities than a head on collision with 2 vehicles due to going around a 10 mph cycle going uphill around a curve in the center of the lane. I hope neither occur but the likelihood is there since it almost happened to my wife and I yesterday on our way home from Church. Lets all be safe and respectful of each other from both sides of this issue.

I live on both sides of this issue daily. What most lack is perspective on both sides of the vehicle...I hold BOTH sides accountable bc I'm a member of BOTH sides.

Until you are the cyclist going into the ditch I'm not sure that is a call someone should make. The ditch can be very hospitable and that cyclist isn't always moving at 10mph.

You shouldn't pass a slow moving cyclist in a blind hill or turn, just like you wouldn't pass a slow moving vehicle in a blind hill/curve...a few seconds wont hurt anyone and could save everyone involved.

Lets try to keep this thread for ACTUAL Cycling and not just quoting rules of the road. I think that's fair?

I've been a part of this thread since it started and it would be great but there is always a non-cyclist telling us how, when, and where to ride...without any real world experience both sides of the equation....I started not to comment but couldn't help myself...

These are the reasons that I find my time spent on two wheels is more and more in the woods...

IMG_2190 12.32.36 PM.jpg
10157239_10205561150493383_7175612977521375385_n.jpg

Not reading 39 pages to see if this has already been asked so forgive me if it has...but what is a hybrid bike.
They’re usually based on a mountain bike but designed to be more versatile by combining a couple features from road bikes and/or cruisers. Most of my biking these days is done around the neighborhood with the kids. A hybrid is a good option for that type of riding, but if you’re gonna be on the road, get a bike made for that. If you’re gonna be on the trails, stick with a mountain bike. Just my 2 cents.

Getting back on the trails for the first time in many years.

Haven’t done much trail riding since moving here. Anyone know some trails on the east side that would be friendly for a beginner female or maybe a kid hitting the trails for the first time?

D5BD94A1-2041-44E8-8E39-15AA7307BB07.jpeg
EBF07172-2E0A-402A-8252-32496E8B3A30.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom