• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any birdwatchers in the house?

Yeah I’d say I’m hooked now. Planning on adding more feeders and seed variety to feed more birds this winter. Currently seeing about 6-7 different species and enjoying every minute of it.

is there a particular book you recommend? Thanks

A guide to field identification birds of North America (Golden publishing)
and
National Audubon Society field guide to North American birds (Eastern region)
(Knopf publishing)
are the ones we have been using.

If you feed them, they will come.

Then begins the battle with squirrels to keep your feeders full. Trying to outthink a squirrel intent on raiding your feeders is akin to playing chess with a grand master.

595EAADC-0409-46C2-B299-DE7FE80275EC.jpeg

We also throw out seed in a cleared area for the ground feeding birds.
And squirrels
And chipmunks
And cottontails

A guide to field identification birds of North America (Golden publishing)
and
National Audubon Society field guide to North American birds (Eastern region)
(Knopf publishing)
are the ones we have been using.

If you feed them, they will come.

Then begins the battle with squirrels to keep your feeders full. Trying to outthink a squirrel intent on raiding your feeders is akin to playing chess with a grand master.

View attachment 3021126

And squirrels
And chipmunks
And cottontails

A solid dose of ground cayenne in your feed will out think the squirrels. Birds can't taste it, doesn't bother them.

I actually take peanut butter, briefly microwave it so that it's loose, and mix as much cayenne into as I can, and then put pats of it in strategic locations on the feeder. Squirrels can't resist it, and the birds will happily finish it up when the squirrels absent themselves,

And squirrels
And chipmunks
And cottontails

We have a squirrel proof feeder, and put seed on the ground for all the critters, which has unintended consequences. Hunting ground for hawks, also.
This was captured on my security camera:

A solid dose of ground cayenne in your feed will out think the squirrels. Birds can't taste it, doesn't bother them.

I actually take peanut butter, briefly microwave it so that it's loose, and mix as much cayenne into as I can, and then put pats of it in strategic locations on the feeder. Squirrels can't resist it, and the birds will happily finish it up when the squirrels absent themselves,

Good suggestion.
We did that briefly, it upset the raccoons. lol
Besides, I enjoy the challenge of trying to defeat a creature with a brain the size of a small walnut.

We have a squirrel proof feeder, and put seed on the ground for all the critters, which has unintended consequences. Hunting ground for hawks, also.
This was captured on my security camera:
True, we have red-shouldered hawks that love dove for breakfast, and recently we have a Cooper’s hawk standing vigil some mornings. He stands on the top of the shepherd’s hook that holds the large hanging feeder. Wife usually runs him off before he can score. Not that anything else with wings is going to move once they spot him.

We also have one of those, but my guys discovered they could hang underneath or stand on the top to reach seeds.
Had to put it on a pole with baffle to keep them out.
Pro tip: got to be out of jumping distance from tree trunks or branches.
Ours just is, and occasionally a newbie will take a shot. Funny to watch them miss or slide off. ‘Missed it by that much’. lol

edit to add:

here’s a guy eyeballing it now
A91764A1-A0FE-46F7-87E3-94A0B97F374A.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom