• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any Coonan experts?

spencer60

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
285   0
Reaction score
I have a Model B and I've found that unless I use full-tilt loads I get iffy extraction. In around 1 in 4-5 cycles the extractor won't catch the rim and it leaves the empty in there.

The extractor itself seems OK, but I'm thinking that the spring may be a bit weak after all these years. Unfortunately Coonan is out of business and I can't contact them.

Does anyone know if the spring they use is the same as some other gun out there? I did find mag and recoil springs on Wolff, but nothing else, and the rest of my searches have come up dry.

Thanks...

I did find getting a death grip on it helps a little, but it's still a problem. It does run fine with 'full power' 357 Mag loads so I may just have to deal with it. I replaced the recoil spring and mag springs already so I know they aren't a problem, but was hoping to find a new ejector spring (and maybe even an ejector) just to eliminate all the variables.

On the less powerful loads have you tried running the 38 special spring?
He beat me to it. There’s supposed to be a lighter recoil spring for when shooting .38s.
I thought Wolff would have them but I just checked their website and they only have the .357 rated 22 # spring. Numrich was a bust as well.

Yeah, the manual mentions it but it seems to be a factory part. The only Model B parts I could find out there at all were the Wolff mag and recoil springs. I'm running the new Wolff recoil spring now but it didn't change anything.

I have to admit I don't know why it works better with the hotter loads either. The problem seems to be that the ejector isn't hooking around the rim of the empty case. When I remove the empty after this there's no scratches or sign that the ejector ever touched it.

That being said, if I pull the slide back and let it snap forward (after pulling out the mag), it'll hook the rim just fine and eject the empty with no problem.

All I can think of is that the ejector spring is weak and the ejector hook is bouncing around during recoil, sometimes being 'down' to catch the rim and sometimes being 'up' and missing it.

Why the ammo 'hotness' should change that is beyond me, although it could simply be harmonics and slide speed making that difference.

Anyway, that was my theory and why I was looking for a new spring.

If anyone knows of a 1911 design that uses and external ejector, let me know. It's probably worth buying a few different ones if I can find them, since I'm guessing Coonan used an existing part for this spring.

Back
Top Bottom