• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

any dedicated coyote hunters?

Masterdebater

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
10   0
Reaction score
my last few posts can tell you im in the market for a good coyote scope without breaking bank, so i wanted to hear from some yote hunters here on odt what kind of glass they use

I've got a Nikon buckmaster 6-18x40 on my thompson center venture predator. I think I picked it up on here for less than $200 bucks

ive really been eyeing a nikon p-223 3x32 carbine scope (small,light,great reviews) since i rarely magnify any of my scopes on my rifles but is fixed power the way to go? i wish they had a fixed 4 or 6 power

ive really been eyeing a nikon p-223 3x32 carbine scope (small,light,great reviews) since i rarely magnify any of my scopes on my rifles but is fixed power the way to go? i wish they had a fixed 4 or 6 power
What rifle do you intend to use? If it's for close (under 200 yards) then a fixed 6 might be fine and will certainly allow for very good light gathering. Personally I need (or least want) more magnification than that at that distance. I like setups where I can see for a long LONG ways so tend to go variable. You sacrifice light when you crank it up and I've not taken shots due to that but the added confidence while shooting in good light from having a target I can SEE makes up for it, to me.

i was looking also at a leapers utg 6x32 but after some reading....i guess utg isnt great. my price range is 150 and thats still pushing it lol

edit:also checked out a bushnell banner 3-9x40 dusk to dawn which was 85 at academy but reviews seem iffy as well

i was looking also at a leapers utg 6x32 but after some reading....i guess utg isnt great. my price range is 150 and thats still pushing it lol

edit:also checked out a bushnell banner 3-9x40 dusk to dawn which was 85 at academy but reviews seem iffy as well
What type rifle is this going on? For $150, that's going to be real difficult to get any magnification with any light gathering. I'd maybe try and find this in a store http://www.opticsplanet.com/sightron-si-hunter-3-5-10x50-riflescope-w-duplex-reticle.html and give it a look.

its for my mossberg mvp varmint. and yes optics planet is where i do most of my shopping but dont know what else to look for
It's a tough spot. Normally on a tight budget I'd say buy the highest power fixed power you can get from a known quality manufacturer. But reality is you may find yourself in a wooded situation taking some close shots (and want a variable). I'd still try and find one of those Sightrons I linked in a local store to see what you think. Hard to tell in a store what those dusk and dawn shots will look like though...

Back
Top Bottom