• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any dirtbike riders on here?

Alex_V

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
71   0
Reaction score
I been riding my KDX300 on forest roads in Apalachicola National Forest, FL. Hundreds of miles or various difficulty roads. I have seen big black bears, alligators, strange-looking pups, and there are rumors of panthers in the area. I would put my beater Canik 9mm in the bottom of the backpack, but I realize it wont be a quick draw if needed.

Any ideas, on how to ride a dirtbike while open or concealed carry? Chest or side leg holster? Any holster that would secure a gun well? Stick one in the boot, but there are lots of water crossings...

Also, what is the best type of firearm to carry in a wet, sand environment when riding? Something in stainless like a Ruger revolver, or a Sig MK25? Stainless 1911, or a beater plastic gun will do just as well?

I Carried a Glock 17 appendix carry on my old Suzuki on the forest roads in chatahoochee natl forest. Surprisingly comfortable but a chest rig would likely be moe betta

I've ridden thousands of miles dual sport throughout the Southeast and out west in Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming with my Glock 30S and while I started out with chest rig my preferred method of carry for many years now has been within my tank bag secured in a modified leather holster.
If I'm just going to pound the blacktop for a day ride then my Sig P365 (within pocket holster) is in my pocket as it is daily.
I prefer flush fitting mags in each pistol for compactness/concealability along with a belt mag carrier with two extended/higher capacity magazines.

There are pro's and con's to each method as always and of course many other carry options but above is what works well for me.

KDX300?

Is that a bore job on a 200 or 220 or did you mean KLX?

I have a KDX220 that I am working on to ride again. It's been in storage for 8 years, but will soon be jetting around on my 13 acres. It's almost ready, just need to replace some hoses and clean the carb one more time. It currently isn't revving out, so I think a jet is still clogged.
I used to race hare scrambles back in the day and would love to get back into that again.

As for carrying, I simply wear my Kore gun belt and carry my Ruger 9mm American Compact using the Alien gear OWB paddle holster at around 4 o'clock. It is far enough back that won't snag on limbs or brush and comfortable as to not bumping or digging into my side.

Variety of smaller pistols in the tank bag or camelback. Kahr PM9, glock 22, TCP, etc

Friends carry in fanny packs or backpacks.

I have an old Honda XR 200 and I can't believe it still runs. I've literally had it flipping end over end after losing a wheelie going down the trail and it just won't break. That thing is a tank

I usually carry some flavor of glock in a Blackhawk retention holster on my hip. Hopefully if I go down with it the plastic will break and it won't beat me up too bad

You get sand and mud in one of those they may not function. The old military 1911 was born just for that type of environment. Just sayin.....

Back
Top Bottom