• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any former smokers on here?

After watching what my Mother went through after smoking all of her life, I absolutely made up my mind that I wasn't going through that myself, nor my wife, since she and I had some for a combined 55 years. We quit two weeks apart, her by using the gum and me with the newly introduced at that time electronic cigarettes. That was almost 15 years ago, and we've never looked back. Best decision we both had ever made.........
I'm convinced I'd be tango uniform if I hadn't quit when I did. Best thing I've ever done was quit.

Stupidest thing I've ever done was starting smoking......well, second stupidest. There was that wife thing for a while.

I smoked for about 12 years, from 13 until 25, have been quit for over 40. I don’t view it as a battle completely won. If I light up one today I think I would be hooked all over again. Like geezer geezer said, they still smell good sometimes. my goal has been to not light that next one. The craving goes away, you reach a point where you don’t think about it, your Taste buds come back to life, your breathing gets easier, you quit stinking, you view yourself as having greater will power and others cease to judge you as an idiot knowing only about you that you smoke.

Smoked for 25 years, up to a pack a day. Always went cold turkey to quit. Quit and restarted numerous times times. Last time I quit was 10 years ago. Still miss it every once in awhile and tempted only when out with buddies and someone steps aside to burn one. My fix is a periodic cigar.

Out of curiosity, how much is a pack of cigarettes today?

Does it come down to either filling your gas tank up or getting that carton of cigarettes?

Out of curiosity, how much is a pack of cigarettes today?

Does it come down to either filling your gas tank up or getting that carton of cigarettes?
You can have a gallon of gas or a half pack of cigarettes. In the 90's when I rep'd tobacco for American Tobacco Products, the materials and production costs for a single pack of 20 cigarettes was 14-16₵. The remainder of the cost was advertising, promotions and taxes. The retailer's margin on cigarettes was about 6-8% back then, about the same as gasoline (in C-Stores).

I quit when the packs of Taryton (remember them?) went to a buck a pack cold turkey. Just stay with it, I haven't thought of lighting up since then. I even walk away when someone's smoking near me.

I cant stand smoke....but I will toke up when I drink..for some reason.. :)..good luck with your addictions....you are more powerful than any substance...and you are worthy of freedom from everything that binds..

I was a pack and a half a day smoker for 15 years. I quit in September. After a couple of months it got a lot easier. The last couple of weeks, its like I just quit again. I'm even dreaming about smoking. Anyone have any experience with this? What worked for you?
You will have urges off and on for many years, but it gets easier. Just surprised me a few times and almost got week.

Still haven't picked one up. Based on your comments I should expect cravings to continue here and there for a while. Im staying focused on how much better I feel physically not to mention the money I'm saving. I could buy a car with what I spent on cigarettes over the years.

Back
Top Bottom