• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any good ideas on removing flash hider from S&W M&P 15-22?

Bushwhacker

Default rank <4000 posts Lifetime Supporter
Unmitigated Badassery
119   0
Reaction score
It won't budge. I put it in an upper receiver vise block. I didn't over torque because I don't want to warp the polymer or crack it. Next I used my industrial heat gun. I didnt take the teamp but I'm sure it was in excess of 400 degrees. Still nothing. I do not have a barrel block/vise nor have I soaked it in Kroil.

It's a near new gun, doesn't appear to be fired but it could have as I'm not the original owner. Does anywhere I can take it to have it done?

I use a strap wrench on the flash hider while wrapping a piece of leather around the barrel and holding that with vice grips.

Don't think my strap wrench will get small enough. It might though as I only tried it on the barrel, not the flash hider and it wouldn't tighten down enough.

Will a leather belt work?

You need a barrel block and a vice. It's very easy to ruin the receiver by torquing the barrel without the barrel in a clamp on a 15-22. I have the proper tools to do it, but I'm in Rome.

I've used a regular bench vise to clamp the barrel, with a pine 2x4 block on either side. The soft wood will dent easily and grip the barrel better.

As Horsehat said, use penetrating oil, hit it every day for a few days. Clamp the barrel between the pine blocks, and try to loosen it. If the barrel twists, squeeze it down a little tighter. Usually I can get past the "crap, am I going to screw up this barrel?" to "You little &#*&, I'll break you loose if I have to melt you down" pretty quickly.

Remember there are wrench flats on the flash hider; wrap a piece of electrical tape once on it to help keep from scratching the flash hider if you care about that (usually I don't, my AR's are working guns).

I soaked it in Kroil for 24 hours. Used a strap wrench and crescent wrench and got nowhere.

Heat didnt work
Kroil didn't work
I'll try the wood blocks in the vise. After that I guess I'll have to take it to someone with the proper tools.

Back
Top Bottom