• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any help would be great, Winchester 94 problem.

dblev11011

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
15   0
Reaction score
I traded in to a nice looking nickel plated 94 a few months ago and didn't really know what I was getting. The fellow said he never shot it. Upon getting it home and checking it out it seems to be a bit of a Frankenstein rifle, the receiver is a nickel plated Oliver F. Winchester commemorative that was originally gold in color I think and chambered in 38-55? At some point someone has put an octagonal barrel in 30-30 on this action. From what I've read the 38-55 action should load and chamber 30-30 effectively, but the issue I'm having is that the action won't close all the way on a chambered round. It has no issue closing without a round in the chamber, it's as if there isn't enough headspace? Any help would be great, thanks!

Also if I remove the lever safety, the rifle will fire as is, but I don't believe this is very safe. Even though the bolt is all the way "home," the block on the bottom isn't seated all the way in to the receiver.

Can it be checked if I can't even close the action completely on a cartridge? Would that be negative headspace because a 30-30 headspaces on the rim? I'm no gunsmith obviously.

If the cartridge fully chambers, and bolt won't lock, you have too little headspace.

There are gauges to measure exactly what you have as far as headspace. If you do not have those gauges, one thing to try:

If you have some fired cases, cut an inch off onr and run it through a sizing die. If bolt closes and locks, chamber is too short. If it doesn't close and lock, too little headspace, and it needs to be adjusted.

If the cartridge fully chambers, and bolt won't lock, you have too little headspace.

There are gauges to measure exactly what you have as far as headspace. If you do not have those gauges, one thing to try:

If you have some fired cases, cut an inch off onr and run it through a sizing die. If bolt closes and locks, chamber is too short. If it doesn't close and lock, too little headspace, and it needs to be adjusted.
Awesome, I'll give that a try tomorrow. If I did have too little headspace is there some way I can back the barrel off?

Awesome, I'll give that a try tomorrow. If I did have too little headspace is there some way I can back the barrel off?

May just need to be touched up with a chamber ream. It will also cut the proper headspace dimension.

If it were excess headspace, barrel would have to be set back and chamber re-cut.

May just need to be touched up with a chamber ream. It will also cut the proper headspace dimension.

If it were excess headspace, barrel would have to be set back and chamber re-cut.
Thanks so much for your help. Is that something the average gunsmith could do? To be honest I don't even know of a gunsmith near me, much less a good one.

O
Thanks so much for your help. Is that something the average gunsmith could do? To be honest I don't even know of a gunsmith near me, much less a good one.

A real gunsmith, yes. A kitchen table AR builder, no.

Just a guess, but when the barrel was installed, likely it was not checked for proper fit/headspace, as the tools needed to correct it are several hundred dollars, at a minimum, and several thousand and up if a lathe is needed.

30=30.jpg

Just the finish reamer is about 200 bucks, plus need to be able to dismount the barrel and reinstall. Add a Set of headspace gauges, etc., and the required tooling gets expensive.

Note: you can see the headspace cutter flutes on the back end of the chamber ream in the pic.

I see, well after I check to make sure its the headspace and not a shallow chamber, I guess I'll be looking for a gunsmith. Thanks again, I would have never thought to check the chamber with a piece of cut brass!

Back
Top Bottom