• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any Home Theater enthusiasts hanging out here? Dobly Atmos, anyone?

rbstern

Hen of Fame Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
115   0
Reaction score
Built a basement home theater back in 2011, starting with a 720p Epson projector, a custom painted wall screen and a 5.1 Onkyo system. Over the years, updated to 1080p 3D Optoma projector, and a 7.1 Onkyo system. It's an excellent home theater and my family has enjoyed it greatly.

Will be building a house later this year and, of course, I already have a room designated in the basement for the new home theater. There isn't much I would change from our current setup. A little more space for additional seating, and maybe some mild speaker upgrades.

The big question is: Implement Dolby Atmos? At a minimum, I'll run wires for four speakers in the ceiling to future-proof it, even if I don't install the speakers right away. A Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 capable receiver with 11 true amplified speaker outputs drives the price of a receiver WAY up.

Anybody tried Dolby Atmos yet? The reviews I've read say it takes listening to a whole new level.

Love some good scifi and been expanding my home theater experience since buying my first suround system in 97 if memory serves. I actually have the same speaker system just added more speakers and new reciever to to 7.1 a few years ago. Originally started with an Onkyo 5.1 THX reviever and a Jamo THX one speaker system since then upgraded to Onkyo 7.1 THX and added another Jamo speaker set to have the flexibility of utilizing both dipolar and/or bipolar for side/rear setup.

have a epson 1080p projector and will stick with it until 4k projectors or 100" + led screens are approachable in price.

I do nee new theater seating though any recommendations?

Love some good scifi and been expanding my home theater experience since buying my first suround system in 97 if memory serves. I actually have the same speaker system just added more speakers and new reciever to to 7.1 a few years ago. Originally started with an Onkyo 5.1 THX reviever and a Jamo THX one speaker system since then upgraded to Onkyo 7.1 THX and added another Jamo speaker set to have the flexibility of utilizing both dipolar and/or bipolar for side/rear setup.

have a epson 1080p projector and will stick with it until 4k projectors or 100" + led screens are approachable in price.

I do nee new theater seating though any recommendations?

We scored a deal on some used home theater recliners (two rows of 3 recliners) back when we started, and they've served well. We're going to leave most of the home theater intact as a selling feature on our current home, so I'll be buying new seating, too. I want to go to eight seats in the next setup, so I've just started researching what's out there. It's less expensive than it used to be, I assume from additional competition, and probably more imported stuff.

What's your current seating setup? Dedicated home theater seats or traditional furniture?

You'll have much more luck on AVS

Not really looking for luck.

I can go to AVS and get into intense technical discussions and have guys tell me I'll never be happy unless I spend $5,000 on speakers, $4,000 on amps, etc.

Or I can talk to normal people who live everyday lives, within practical parameters. :)

Not really looking for luck.

I can go to AVS and get into intense technical discussions and have guys tell me I'll never be happy unless I spend $5,000 on speakers, $4,000 on amps, etc.

Or I can talk to normal people who live everyday lives, within practical parameters. :)

Ha, so true...

I enjoy my little cobbled together theater. I'd like to learn more about the Atmos set ups too. My reciever has the capabilities (Marantz SR5010) but I'm stuck in the late 90s with 5.2

We install Dolby Atmos. How big will your new home theater room be? And what speakers will you be using?

New room will be 20W x 30L. Fronts and center will be Martin Logan Vignettes. Thinking about getting another pair of them for the sides. I currently have TSC bipoles for rear, and TSC bookshelves for sides. Have a 12" sub, can't recall the brand. It's in a padded alcove below the equipment rack that I haven't looked at in a couple of years.

EDIT: Sub is Acoustech H100.

I enjoy my little cobbled together theater. I'd like to learn more about the Atmos set ups too. My reciever has the capabilities (Marantz SR5010) but I'm stuck in the late 90s with 5.2

Very capable receiver. Unfortunately, there seem to be so many approaches to Atmos, it's a bit hard to figure out tbe specifics for any piece of gear that isn't full blown 11 channels of amplification. Makes my head hurt when I read about some of the approaches people are using.

Do you have enough room to go to 7.2? It's a nice step up if you like movies with a lot of movement in the sound editing.

Back
Top Bottom