• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any input of 2004 VW Golf 2.0

hamburglar3

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Robble Robble Robble
650   0
Reaction score
Near Ellijay GA Sandy Springs occasionally
I have an opportunity to purchase a low mileage Golf, a 2004 with 69K miles. I have read that their timing belts should be changed around every 80K miles. I am wondering if anyone has experience with:

Failure of belt

cost of replacing (with water pump)

regret or joy in owning this model/engine

Thanks in advance

I had an older VW. I was also told to do so because if the belt failed, there would be major engine damage. They said they replaced the water pump at the same time because it was more cost effective to do it while the belt was being replaced due to labor costs.

it is an interference motor if the TIMING belt breaks you are buying a new motor at the most at the lest you are redoing the head due to bent valves..

always replace th belt when you do a water pump and replace all the idler pulleys and tensioners too.

They are pricey to repair we had an 2001 jetta and pretty much everything is expensive.

STAY AWAYYYYY

I had an 02 Golf 2.slow that I HATED every minute of. It was very well taken care of with very low miles.

1: electrical problems out the ass... hit the brakes, rear wiper turns on... put on the signal, interior lights come on...

2: The electrical part that powers all the dash stuff caught on fire... google it, its very common. Even new audis still have this issue.

3: The COST of everything was freaking ridiculous. Ive had hondas, jeeps, mazdas, fords etc and parts for that stupid VW were so expensive conpared to everythong else.

Personally, I will never own a VW/Audi ever again. One was enough...

We've had several of the diesel ones

I know nothing about the gassers other than to say do Not NOT get one with an automatic trans
The V W auto trans dot last Long

My AC dumped cold water on the passengers feet. Then the AC went out and the defroster was stuck in the on position. When the paint started peeling off the hood, I sold it.

Back
Top Bottom