• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any issues w/ hammer bob on S&W 637- J Frame?

The pocketbook came with a velcro holster and the fit is good for the J frame - it's just that the hammer snags when drawn from a horizontal position. The holster is thick on the top and has a reinforced tab - that's what the hammer is snagging....but it needs to be in a holster to protect the trigger IMO. If you lay the pistol in there w/o the holster, the hammer still snags on the material liner if not drawn perfectly horizontal.

Bob it. In case you're concerned about hammer fall/strike just get Wolff Xtra power I/J frame mainspring. I put them in all my Is and Js and they are great. They are still nice and smooth stroking (easy now....) and they snap with authority.

Reactions: JWC
Buy a spare hammer and bob it. Changing the hammer is not that big a deal for someone who is handy.

Or find a model 38, which is my personal fav.

If she is going to shoot the gun, bobbing the hammer will not affect the value that much, if any.

Personally, I don't like the trigger pull on a 442.

The Wolf Springs will fix a 442.

Reactions: JWC
My old 442 has been slicked up, by me, and she shoots sweet. Tuned the action, beveled the front and rear of the cylinder, and chamfered the chambers. I’ve got a target somewhere from when I worked at Marietta PD; 5 rounds of semi-wadcutter, all overlapping, at 25yds.

Nothing to it. Took about 10 min once in the vice. Couldn’t tell any difference in primer strikes and the CT grips were still on target. Everything has nice round edges and no snagging.

57F035FC-A7C3-432A-A5C8-18C98CD78772.jpeg
1822BBA9-1F70-4DF2-A614-AAB6D910DD07.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom