• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any KME, Edge Pro, Hapstone, Tsprof, users?

draftpick

Default rank <2000 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
202   1
Reaction score
I have a Tsprof on the way. Looking to see what stones and some feedback on the sharping systems that use 4 or 6 inch stones. Any one use a Tsprof? What are you using on the vanadium steels and other super steel. Looking at getting some diamond matrix stones as I have several vanadium knives always wondered why they lacked getting a great edge as they need a tough stone to cut the carbides. Will probably use my sic stones for the rest.

I used an Edge Pro with tons of stones, shapton, chosera, diamond etc. for many years. These days, I use a Ken Onion Worksharp with the blade grinding attachment. Today's super steels take so damn long to sharpen on stones and I get an insane edge on my Worksharp in 1/10th the time. Stuff like S110v, Cruwear, 20CV, etc can take literally hours per blade to get a consistent bevel and the 17 degrees per side I prefer.
At the end of the day, I look at it this way. What are all those high end custom knifemakers out there using? They are using belt sanders. And getting insane results.

I used an Edge Pro with tons of stones, shapton, chosera, diamond etc. for many years. These days, I use a Ken Onion Worksharp with the blade grinding attachment. Today's super steels take so damn long to sharpen on stones and I get an insane edge on my Worksharp in 1/10th the time. Stuff like S110v, Cruwear, 20CV, etc can take literally hours per blade to get a consistent bevel and the 17 degrees per side I prefer.
At the end of the day, I look at it this way. What are all those high end custom knifemakers out there using? They are using belt sanders. And getting insane results.

I have had my own suspicions that a lot of them burn the edge, and several people that do cut testing usually see improvements after a couple of sharping. Various by steel. I have had blade hold better after a couple of sharpenings. Yes using belts is faster, but a lot of high end steels have carbides that Aluminium or silicon won’t cut properly.

Back
Top Bottom