• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any magazine collectors?

I have been working on my doctorate degree in Magology. I have several papers published on different forums concerning AK 47 magazine variations. You see I suffer from OCMD- Obsessive Compulsive Magazine Disorder. My modest ambition is to try and collect every AK 47 magazine made. The following is a compilation of internet studies:

Aluminum mags were developed in the 1962-63 time frame. In 1961, Izhevsk designers managed to achieve a certain weight reduction AKM rifle with the creation of a new 30-round magazine, made of light aluminum alloy D16ABM. It had been proposed instead of the standard steel sheet of 0.7 mm, vesivshego 334. However, the strength of such service life proved insufficient, and even a slight deformation causes a delay in the supply of ammunition. Both the alloys have low corrosion resistance. This magazine was short lived and the designers sought alternative material…AG-4S phenol plastic.

"Lightweight Aluminum Alloy D16 ABM for AKM"
Thus, already in 1961 Izhevsk designers managed to achieve a certain weight reduction AKM with the creation of a new 30-round magazine, made of light aluminum alloy D16ABM weighing 164 g. It was proposed instead of the standard steel sheet 0.7 mm, 334 vesivshego.

0228152017.jpg

One point to note is the article states the weight as 164 g, which is lighter than most books claim. Which brings up an interesting point, is this a mere typo or was the first aluminum mags actually this weight, while the ones we are fortunate enough to get our hands on are 191.5 g?

Weight of one of my waffle magazines: 195 grams.

I am already forgetting things that I learned. I just remembered, and found it interesting, that all the parts of a "Waffle" magazine should be aluminum except the spring. This includes the follower, take down plate, and floor plate. Some of these parts could have been mixed in or mixed up, but a real one...

Back
Top Bottom