• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any motorcycle guys? Need Carb Help!

I had two Yamaha virago 750s. Those might not be the exact carb but I'm sure you can find them and they're very inexpensive. Most of those carbs are just CC regulated so they are they will fit many models and different manufacturers.

It'll be cheaper just to replace the carbs and it would be to have them rebuilt. A 50 bucks a piece you can't beat that and $100 will probably be a lot cheaper than having somebody else do it.
wanna watch out for the cheap china carbs. they wont work good at all. if they fit, the jetting will be wrong, and the quality is poor. best bet it to find someone willing to rebuild old carbs. i dont do anything older then 2006 now. just cant get all the needed parts, and if you can, it eats time trying to find them..
figure on 300 to 600 to do the carbs.
best bet is to take the bike to a shop, a good shop wont build carbs and hand them back. if they do they dont have the experience in mechanic work. everyone did that once, and then learned.
clean the carbs, guy takes them home, brings them back saying they are wrong, you doubled check them again, do that a few times, insist they bring in the bike. it has no spark, and a ton of other issues and the carbs are not keeping it from running...
my 2 cents, take it for what its worth.. been open since 2005..... carbs can be a money pit if they have bad slides, some of the diaphragms, if bad are not available. if they are they can be upwards of $400 each.
good luck on it.

Did you disconnect the fuel line to make sure you are getting ample fuel from the tank? Make sure the gas is new, dump out old gas and use new gas. I would even go as far as taking the tank off and turning it upside down catching the fuel and some kind of clean container and inspect the fuel. If that's okay put good new gasoline in it and make sure it's flowing from the fuel line.

If everything is fine on that take a screwdriver and unplug one of the plug wires stick the screwdriver into the end of the plug wire and turn the motor over you can do this at night time and move the shaft of the screwdriver to something metal like the head and see if you're getting spark from the screwdriver to the Head and it should be a good hot spark. Check both cylinders for spark. You should be able to hear it and see it very easily if it's quiet around you and somewhat dark out. If you don't trust yourself with the screwdriver and looking for spark you can go to pep boys and buy a tool that looks like a spark plug wire that has a clear bulb in the middle of it. You simply unplug one wire attach it to the male side of that little wire and then plug the female side of the wire back onto the spark plug. Then you turn the engine over and that little bulb in the middle should light up fairly brightly. That will tell you if you get an adequate spark.

Then the only thing left is air. Just remove the air filter and try that and it should be getting air no problem. After you perform those little diagnostic tricks then and only then what I rebuild the carburetors. That tool is very inexpensive and it can come in handy on lawn mowers car engines whatever you have.

Did you disconnect the fuel line to make sure you are getting ample fuel from the tank? Make sure the gas is new, dump out old gas and use new gas. I would even go as far as taking the tank off and turning it upside down catching the fuel and some kind of clean container and inspect the fuel. If that's okay put good new gasoline in it and make sure it's flowing from the fuel line.

If everything is fine on that take a screwdriver and unplug one of the plug wires stick the screwdriver into the end of the plug wire and turn the motor over you can do this at night time and move the shaft of the screwdriver to something metal like the head and see if you're getting spark from the screwdriver to the Head and it should be a good hot spark. Check both cylinders for spark. You should be able to hear it and see it very easily if it's quiet around you and somewhat dark out. If you don't trust yourself with the screwdriver and looking for spark you can go to pep boys and buy a tool that looks like a spark plug wire that has a clear bulb in the middle of it. You simply unplug one wire attach it to the male side of that little wire and then plug the female side of the wire back onto the spark plug. Then you turn the engine over and that little bulb in the middle should light up fairly brightly. That will tell you if you get an adequate spark.

Then the only thing left is air. Just remove the air filter and try that and it should be getting air no problem. After you perform those little diagnostic tricks then and only then what I rebuild the carburetors. That tool is very inexpensive and it can come in handy on lawn mowers car engines whatever you have.
problem is if it sat up for more than 6 months. the carbs will be clogged. only fix is to pull them and clean them. the main may be open but the primary will be clogged. the jets are small in a bike, you need to strip the carbs and vat them for 4 to 6 hours to get all the varnish / ethanol crystals out of them.
if you just want to see if it will run. spray some brake cleaner in the carbs and see if it will bust off. starting fluid will work, but it can be harsh and damage the engine....

problem is if it sat up for more than 6 months. the carbs will be clogged. only fix is to pull them and clean them. the main may be open but the primary will be clogged. the jets are small in a bike, you need to strip the carbs and vat them for 4 to 6 hours to get all the varnish / ethanol crystals out of them.
if you just want to see if it will run. spray some brake cleaner in the carbs and see if it will bust off. starting fluid will work, but it can be harsh and damage the engine....
Yeah today's fuel can gel fairly quickly. I would definitely drain the tank and clean the carbs. Best thing to do is before you store it is add a fuel stabilizer and fill the tank as much as possible to keep condensation from forming inside the tank. These fuels we have now will turn real quick. The quality is rancid. Even fuel stabilizer is only a short term option. Over a Georgia winter at the most and run it out as soon as you can or drain it and refill with good gas.

Back
Top Bottom