• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any opinions on an '05 Chevy Silverado?

streetroc

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
DO NOT TOUCH THE TRIM!
53   0
Reaction score
Found one in real nice shape with 138k on it for $13k. Z71 4wd, leather interior, power everything. I want a full size truck but don't want to pay $40k+ for a new one. Are there any things that I should look out for on those? How is a 4wd truck as a daily driver?

Got a '05 Silverado 5.3L engine and L60E trans in my '67 Camaro.
Truck had 125K miles on when it wrecked.

I pulled the heads to have a performance valve job and spring swap on them.
Cylinders and bottom end looked brand new. Still had hone marks...

Only a filter change needed on the deep sumped truck's automatic.

Great running motor and trans.

½ton? Trans is the weak point on them. Generally 150k or so. Otherwise the only other issue you should come across is grounds being corroded.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yeah 1500. 5.3 vortec if I remember correctly. I checked the trans fluid and it looked nice and clear. Not cloudy or burnt. A full transmission flush would be my first service though, along with a coolant flush and a new thermostat. The engine bay and underside of the truck looked absolutely spotless though. I did notice a few minor problems. The fog lights don't work. The passenger window motor drags a little bit but still works okay. The shift indicator didn't work but apparently that is a common problem on these. I read several threads online about how to resolder the connections on the back of the instrument panel. Sounds like a PITA but well within my abilities.

Good tires and brakes but it did rock up and down slightly going down the road. No vibrations at interstate speed though. Maybe I'm just not used to the way a 4wd truck rides?

Yeah 1500. 5.3 vortec if I remember correctly. I checked the trans fluid and it looked nice and clear. Not cloudy or burnt. A full transmission flush would be my first service though, along with a coolant flush and a new thermostat. The engine bay and underside of the truck looked absolutely spotless though. I did notice a few minor problems. The fog lights don't work. The passenger window motor drags a little bit but still works okay. The shift indicator didn't work but apparently that is a common problem on these. I read several threads online about how to resolder the connections on the back of the instrument panel. Sounds like a PITA but well within my abilities.

Good tires and brakes but it did rock up and down slightly going down the road. No vibrations at interstate speed though. Maybe I'm just not used to the way a 4wd truck rides?
Could also need shocks? I did my ½ tons at 110k and they were frozen.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

$13k?
tenor.gif

Yep. About $3k over the blue book value. That's the going rate right now, esp for a really nice one with 4wd and 138k miles. Used car prices are crazy right now.

You wont regret it. I have an 04 with 310,000 miles on it now. I just replaced the original alternator a month ago or so. Still has the original starter and power steering pump. Around 190k or so I had @dragracer rebuild the transmission. He did a great a great job and it's still going strong. The strong points to these models is they are easy to work on (if needed) and they dont have all that cylinder deactivation/mileage crap that the later models are having all the trouble with. Oh yeah! I did spend $500 bucks recently on a bearing kit and installation for the rear end. They only seem to last about 300,000 miles or so. :becky:

Back
Top Bottom