• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any other British vehicle morons?

Grab a D2 that's had the head gaskets done.
That's the biggest issue. Coil packs are a bit of a pain since they're mounted on the back of the motor with almost no clearance against the firewall. Other than that, they eat cooling system parts, but they can be had fairly cheap and are easy to replace.
I thought they were toast after the head gasket issue. Does the head gasket replacement work? I should do more research.

I thought they were toast after the head gasket issue. Does the head gasket replacement work? I should do more research.
They're toast if you let it really overheat, but as long as you catch it fast and repair, it's fine. My D2 has 270k on it. I've done coils, 2 water pumps, 2 radiators, hoses and the expansion tank, an alternator and front prop shaft . Other than that just fluids and normal stuff for the 160k I've put on it.

I remember years ago on ebay there was a guy selling a jar of Lucas factory smoke. Just in case your British Leyland POS wiring had let out the smoke from its wires you could use this factory certified smoke. I think it sold for $235.00.
Back when I was foolish enough to get involved with owning several series rovers, I had a tee shirt that had “Lucas, Prince of Darkness” on it. I know ya’ll have heard of intermittent wipers, I often joked that Land Rover invented intermittent headlights! OP good luck with your disco!

Back when I was foolish enough to get involved with owning several series rovers, I had a tee shirt that had “Lucas, Prince of Darkness” on it. I know ya’ll have heard of intermittent wipers, I often joked that Land Rover invented intermittent headlights! OP good luck with your disco!
My series definitely had a touch of Lucas. The tailights would only work if you smacked the dash at the exact same time you were turning them on.

From what li9i remember it's kind of expensive.
I'll be in this one about 6k after towing it back and the new pump . The biggest issue is that parts aren't very available in the US. The PAS pump from a US source is $500, but I can order from a UK shop for $250. I'll wait 2 weeks to save $250.

I'll be in this one about 6k after towing it back and the new pump . The biggest issue is that parts aren't very available in the US. The PAS pump from a US source is $500, but I can order from a UK shop for $250. I'll wait 2 weeks to save $250.
Just for the record I know a VW/Audi mechanic in middle GA who is way queer for the TDI. If you need help or info on it I'd be glad to put you in touch with him.

1967-austin.jpg

I have owned 6 British cars over the years. Have had a Disco II for 10 years. But the oddest BL vehicle I have owned was an Austin FX4D. Better known as a London Taxi. Try finding parts for that! Drove it for 3 years.

note_photo not my car, but same year and model

When I was a teenager I dreamed of an old Triumph or MG as a first car.

Lucky for me I was well over 6 feet tall when I got my learners, which saved me from the pain and suffering with British cars of the 60s and 70s that were around then.

Back
Top Bottom