• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any other British vehicle morons?

British automobiles are a disease for the romantic idiot living in the deepest parts of our souls. I have owned several throughout my misguided life and have come to truly appreciate Japanese, German and American engineering since that time. It started with a TR6 that came with a box of LUCAS points ant other assorted BMG electrical components. This progressed into a couple of Sprites, Austin minis, Morris Minors, the odd Jag and Lotus, a TC and the greatest money pit to ever exist-a wonderfully wore out Morgan. One day, after I hit the lotto, I will purchase a fully (and I mean nut and bolt) E-Type. That's as much pain as I'm willing to endure anymore at my age. They are pretty to look at, but a real pain to push down the road. On a positive note, I did develop some great relationships with the tow truck drivers and repair shop owners along the way. Good luck with your Disco fascination.

I had a 76 MG in 77. Got it used with 3200 miles on it. Biggest pos Ive ever owned. The stories I could tell. I learned my lesson.

Back in the late 60's and before they put a speed limit on the British M1 motorway I bought a used 1958 Jaguar Mk.1 3.4 liter sports saloon with knock on wire wheels and overdrive. Thought I was the bees knees, as my only transportation up to that point had been a motorcycle.

My first chance to stretch it out was on a trip from London to Leicester and as soon as I got on the M1 I moved in to the fast lane and floored it. What I didn't know was that one of the front tires was a retread and around 113 mph the left front tire cap peeled off and flew into pieces along with the wiring for the front left head and fog lights. Looked into the rear view mirror and saw bits of rubber, wire and fender flying off amidst a cloud of blue smoke. Fortunately I had enough sense not to hit the brakes and was able to get over to the shoulder without incident - just as well, as there was only one layer of fabric between the inner tube and the road.

Changed the wheel and continued on. Didn't start shaking until I sat down with my cousin and a pint of bitter almost an hour later and we discussed the possible results if that front tire had blown out. Ah, the blissful ignorance of youth :wacko:.

Since then I have owned a 3.8 liter Mk. II Jag. and a Sunbeam Rapier, and enjoyed 'em all.

Reactions: LMK
Well, shipping got butt ****ed. Supposedly, the airline the carrier normally uses refused the package because it didn't X Ray well, but is now on its way.
Hoping to have it by next weekend.

I repaired the collapsed driver's seat last weekend and I'm planning on doing all the fluids this weekend (diffs, T Case, tranny, coolant and engine oil)

I can't wait to get this ****er running.

PAS pump came in thirsday. Today, I got it installed, bled the system, installed and tensioned new belts and changed the oil.

Now I just need to get her registered and insured.

I owned a disco once. I worked on it more then I drive it...it was kinda like an old chain saw in that regard. I will NEVER own another Brit vehicle. If I were ever to inherit one or win one I will take it to the crusher to make the world a better place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owning a British vehicle, especially a rover means you have deep pockets and very little sense... I’ve owned my share, MGBs.... worked on them more than drove them !

Have been driving assortedBritish sports cars for decades. Currently have a 1981 Morgan Plus 8 which I restored and have owned for 34 years as well as a 2016 Morgan Three Wheeler. Have also owned a MG midget, Triumph TR-250, Triumph TR8, and 2 Mini Coopers. It's a disease

Owning a British vehicle, especially a rover means you have deep pockets and very little sense... I’ve owned my share, MGBs.... worked on them more than drove them !

Going to have to disagree.

you got the first part right though.

Owning a Land Rover as a daily driver means you have deep pockets to pay a shop to maintain it; or....... you've got some brains and have figured how to inexpensively work on these incredibly easy to work on vehicles once you figure them out...

I used to drive a Wrangler Sahara for work, traveling to some real out of the way areas. My Discos in stock configuration drove circles around it off road, and in more comfort.

Back
Top Bottom