• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any other British vehicle morons?

When I was young and stupid i had a number of British cars. I started with an MGTD and then several MG Midgets and Austin Healy Sprites, two MGAs including one Twin Cam, a Mini Cooper. an MGB and a Austin Healey 3000. When I was in college I worked at a sports car repair shop and even did a little SCCA racing. I got to be an expert at rebuilding Lucas starters and generators and cleaning the crappy fuse blocks that weren't protected from moisture and road filth. Another thing I learned was how to change the crappy clutch slave cylinders when they gave out in the middle of nowhere. The carbon clutch throwout bearings were also real masterpieces. It took me about 30 years to realize I could travel in air-conditioned or heated comfort and arrive at my destination without having to interrupt my journey to work on the car.

Sometimes I miss the fun of owning a sports car. About a week ago I saw one of my neighbors had a Jensen Healey for sale it looked good and the price at $2,000 seemed to be reasonable, but common sense won out.

When I was young and stupid i had a number of British cars. I started with an MGTD and then several MG Midgets and Austin Healy Sprites, two MGAs including one Twin Cam, a Mini Cooper. an MGB and a Austin Healey 3000. When I was in college I worked at a sports car repair shop and even did a little SCCA racing. I got to be an expert at rebuilding Lucas starters and generators and cleaning the crappy fuse blocks that weren't protected from moisture and road filth. Another thing I learned was how to change the crappy clutch slave cylinders when they gave out in the middle of nowhere. The carbon clutch throwout bearings were also real masterpieces. It took me about 30 years to realize I could travel in air-conditioned or heated comfort and arrive at my destination without having to interrupt my journey to work on the car.

Sometimes I miss the fun of owning a sports car. About a week ago I saw one of my neighbors had a Jensen Healey for sale it looked good and the price at $2,000 seemed to be reasonable, but common sense won out.

I used to carry a box of Lucas electronics, fuses and misc. parts everywhere I attempted to travel! Had to love BMG autos for their looks, because that was all you could rely on LOL

If you're serious, I might take you up on that! Got any pics?
Let me get it running right and I'll get some pics up. I had to order a fresh spill rail, the old one pretty much fell apart in my hands, so that puts me off to next weekend.

Hoping to get a good bit done this weekend and maybe clean up some of the excess from the conversion. Dude left stuff like the AC plumbing and evap canister under the hood, that's getting ripped out.

My plan, at this point, is to get it running, slap a for sale sign in it and drive it. I'll get some pics up here first though.
The theme this year for the Hilton Head Concours is 4x4, so if I still have it I'll display it there with a for sale sign.

I used to carry a box of Lucas electronics, fuses and misc. parts everywhere I attempted to travel! Had to love BMG autos for their looks, because that was all you could rely on LOL
Ahh Lucas. My Series had a serious case of Lucas. If I'd kept it, it would have come off the road for long enough to just completely rewire it.

If you wanted the lights to work properly, you had to lift your left ass cheek off the seat, flip the switch and smack the dash at the same time. It was awesome....if you didn't get it right, only one tail light would work.....and not always the same taillight.

Guilty.. My '99 HSE p38 wasn't enough trouble so I got a 2000 just to make sure. Plenty of electrical and suspension gremlins in both. I learned a lot of tricks from those two experiences. When they work, they work beautifully.

Guilty.. My '99 HSE p38 wasn't enough trouble so I got a 2000 just to make sure. Plenty of electrical and suspension gremlins in both. I learned a lot of tricks from those two experiences. When they work, they work beautifully.
I love and hate air suspension sooooo much. My '04 XJ8 was smooth as hell......but, it cost me $3k in suspension parts in one year....doing the work myself.

I've lost my head
IMG_20190309_150716.jpg

After reading all these post and laughing my butt off, than I got thinking we have guys on here that are dumbed than liberals.
IMG_0210.jpg

Back
Top Bottom