• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any place to shoot in Dalton / Chatsworth area?

I am a member of camp shooters and I like the range quite a bit. It has a pistol range that has a 10yrd bunker and a 25yrd berm with some steel targets and paper target holders.

Rifle berms at 50,100,200,300, 400, and 500. 3-500 all have steel plates on them. All ranges shoot from the same muzzle line and there are many improvements going on. The membership maxes out at 125 and any time you have that many people in one spot there are bound to be "politics". As far as "rigged votes" go I would disagree...rather a majority speaking out loud about their vision for the range. Regardless, of the so called politics, I love it and I take my 9 and 7 yr old sons out there on a regular basis and it is a great place to shoot. PM me if you need more info.....

I know a couple of long standing members real well that will not be renewing because of the latest ordeal surrounding the latest elected official. Maybe it's just a handful of folks who aren't real happy about it, but they are pillars on their way out. Glad you haven't had any issues Shane, I just hope you have a voice if you need one because apparently a good portion of folks do not. That's why I chose not to join when I had the opportunity recently. Great range though!

The main issues as I see it is dues are going up to $150 a year. A lot of people raised a fuss about it, but I don't have a problem with it because I know where the money is going which is range improvements. I was present for the votes for ALL elected offices this year and yes, it was a landslide vote. I voted with the majority because I see the vision of where they want to take the range. To be sure though, and so my voice would be heard, I volunteered to be on the range development committee. They welcomed me with open arms. I have been a member 2 years, keep to myself, take my boys and go shoot. I am not part of the "In" crowd, but I want my voice to be heard and I did so by getting involved. I am not sure who the people you are speak of are, and I know for a fact, there were several that left there angry and with hurt feelings. The primary issue is that people did not want their dues to go up $50 bucks. The range is worth it to me so I did not have an issue with it and it is the best range for me and my style of shooting which is pretty broad.

My opinion is that any time you get more than ONE person involved you get the potential for conflict and politics. The more people= the greater opportunity for a Cluster F! I am fine with the vote because I see what the leaders are trying to do with the club and I support it. I hate it for your friends, but if they want to leave, I have 3 more shooting buddies waiting in line for a spot.

Shane, apparently you have a better angle because the guys I speak of say that the reason they aren't going to renew is because the new President will not entertain listening to other peoples input about the range. Has nothing to do with dues increasing. Maybe they are wrong but if they aren't, I want no part of a "dues" style club where the members opinions are not welcome.

As I understand it the "new" president has been there for 2-4years...

I can't speak for anyone other than myself, but I think the members opinions WERE heard through a VOTE. It was just that your friends were not in the majority. I have NO STAKE in this, I am just calling it like I saw it and I was there that night. The floor was opened NUMEROUS times for discussion and only a few times were questions even asked and I never heard ANYTHING that remotely looked like a debate over any issue. In fact, it was very nonchalant, boring even...

Here is what I do know:
1. I have asked to have a kids day----they said yes
2. I have offered suggestions through email and in person numerous times and the result has been honest and sincere discourse with every officer I have spoken to.
3. Almost* everyone I have ever met out there has been kind, safe, courteous, did I say SAFE....(one grumpy old fart)
4. When I started I was told I was the ONLY person that brought kids out there "that young" (5 and 7)--I allowed my sons to take on the responsibility of being "range officers" and EVERYONE played along and helped teach my kids the RIGHT way do handle themselves, communicate with others, and instill the proper way to conduct oneself on the range. (no the were NOT the RSO but they took on that role under watchful eyes)
5. Because of all this, I don't care about the politics as long as my needs continue to be met I am good with it.

The Result
I have a great place to shoot (rain or shine)
My sons are some of the safest and proficient shooters I know
I have a great place to take other friends to shoot
I get return on my investment (guns) by using them more
I have a say in where we go from here and how the range develops---(some thought it was fine like it was)

Like I said, I hate it for your friends but I am all for the direction the club is headed.....like all coins....this has two sides too.

Either way, it certainly doesn't matter to me since I have my private range, but I am glad you are happy with the operations. If they opt out, I would imagine they must feel that they a better option somewhere else. It may ultimately be their loss.

I think it all depends on how much you shoot and what you have access too....you have a private range so your needs are well served. My family has had property up on grassy for 30+ years and there are literally POUNDS of 22 brass up there. However, in the last 10 years, there have been many cabins built in the area that make it uncomfortable for me to shoot there as I want to keep peace with the neighbors.

Public Ranges are not an option as I have had too many "close calls" at Sumac and Chestnut mountain....long stories...won't go back.

Enter Camp shooters. When I started there it would get busy around month before deer season, then die down. In the last few years there have been more matches, competitions, etc and an effort to draw in more members and be more active. To some of the old guard, who just wanted a place to plink occasionally and site in a deer rifle it was fine and the new direction is "over kill".

Different Folks = Different Strokes.

On a side note I hear great things about Creek Side and the Cleveland Gun club but both of those clubs are already doing what Camp shooters (I hope) will be doing in the next few years in the way of various competitions and training opportunities.....

Back
Top Bottom