• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any RC Airplane guys here?

harrycalahan

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
116   0
Reaction score
Me and pops used to fly Rc planes a lot back when I was growing up. We ended up quitting the hobby around 2004 due to our local clubs atmosphere and me leaving for school. I've still got my old alcohol planes but a good buddy has gotten me interested in the electric models. They're so SIMPLE! No flight box needed. No fuel. No starter. Its so easy. We flew his at the local ball field today and I've been bitten again, badly. Looking forward to getting back into it. It was a great way to spend time with pops, a retired pilot. He loved it. So what are y'all flying?? Here's what I'm thinking about starting with...

https://www.amazon.com/Flyzone-Rece...487046202&sr=8-5&keywords=flyzone+rc+airplane

In the same boat as you. Have been out of it for years and thinking about getting back into it. It's amazing how much has changed.

If you've got skills and they aren't rusty, that might be a decent plane to get back into, but to me, the beauty of electric flyers is the smaller models that can be flown in smaller spaces. That model may not be ideal for smaller spaces. I wouldn't be interested into getting back into a club. Too much politics, too many problems with encroaching development. Being able to throw a small electric into the truck and fly at any park or ball field is appealing.

Me and pops used to fly Rc planes a lot back when I was growing up. We ended up quitting the hobby around 2004 due to our local clubs atmosphere and me leaving for school. I've still got my old alcohol planes but a good buddy has gotten me interested in the electric models. They're so SIMPLE! No flight box needed. No fuel. No starter. Its so easy. We flew his at the local ball field today and I've been bitten again, badly. Looking forward to getting back into it. It was a great way to spend time with pops, a retired pilot. He loved it. So what are y'all flying?? Here's what I'm thinking about starting with...

https://www.amazon.com/Flyzone-Rece...487046202&sr=8-5&keywords=flyzone+rc+airplane
If it isn't guns it my Planes and Drones that eat my money. I love my old gassers, but the simple and no mess electrics are the way to go. Plus, with the trust to weight ratio you can do crazy 3d acrobatics with a well setup 3d ep bird

In the same boat as you. Have been out of it for years and thinking about getting back into it. It's amazing how much has changed.

If you've got skills and they aren't rusty, that might be a decent plane to get back into, but to me, the beauty of electric flyers is the smaller models that can be flown in smaller spaces. That model may not be ideal for smaller spaces. I wouldn't be interested into getting back into a club. Too much politics, too many problems with encroaching development. Being able to throw a small electric into the truck and fly at any park or ball field is appealing.
Exactly. We flew his 28" wingspan over a single baseball field today with no issue. Plenty of room. I do know a guy I work with who hosts fly ins at his personal property in Griffin though if I need the extra acreage.

Ya our club sucked the fun out of it for us. Too many whining range officers and surrounding land owners to deal with on top of paying club dues. I'm surprised the field hasn't totally shut down yet.

If it isn't guns it my Planes and Drones that eat my money. I love my old gassers, but the simple and no mess electrics are the way to go. Plus, with the trust to weight ratio you can do crazy 3d acrobatics with a well setup 3d ep bird
What is 3d ep bird?

What is 3d ep bird?
Old thread, but curious if you have gotten back into it.
3d = a plane that can stand on its prop, or has more power than weight, allowing all kinds of crazy manuvers. EP is basically polystyrene foam.

I got the bug a while back and still have it, but went nuts with the ultra micros. They are cheap, easy to fly, quiet, and a lot of fun. I have a parkzone/eflite mig15, 2xb17s, p51, t28, champ, corsair, radian(glider), and even a FPV (first person view) quad-copter that fits in the palm in your hand. All of them are a blast and cheap to fly. Every year or so I pickup new batteries, but they are about $4 a pop, and last around 8-12 minutes depending on which plane I am flying and how long/hard I am driving it (except the mig, its a 4 minute tops).

Back
Top Bottom