• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any RV experts in the house?

OP, unless you plan on buying a new truck before you buy a trailer, THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION IN THIS THREAD.

Your truck will dictate what you will tow. Period.

Jerry

Probably gonna get a truck to match the RV we get... leaning heavily to a slide in bed truck camper. Seems to be the most versatile. Small lightweight camper in an F-150. Still doing research though. Purchase will be about a year away, so will probably also going to take the advice and rent a few

Jerry

206A4901-198A-447C-887E-9D927DD26A87.jpeg

Probably gonna get a truck to match the RV we get... leaning heavily to a slide in bed truck camper. Seems to be the most versatile. Small lightweight camper in an F-150. Still doing research though. Purchase will be about a year away, so will probably also going to take the advice and rent a few

I had a pretty nice truck camper several years ago. It was a model with a "pop-up" roof.

I carried it on the back of a 2001 Dodge Ram. It was very lightweight, but it gave the Dodge a case of the squats....even with air bags installed.
Trailer Hitch Setup 001.jpg
Trailer Hitch Setup 002.jpg
Camping Trip (FDR State Park) 12-2008 001.jpg
Camping Trip (Jennys Creek) 06-2008 075.jpg

I would never carry a truck camper again without a 3/4 ton or better truck. I loved that truck camper, but my wife did not. She needed room for her "stuff".

Also, you have to consider where you might carry grills, firewood, coolers, etc. Lots of people do it, and they can give you better advice about the logistics of loading and stowing your gear.

That's pretty funny!!

I can get opinionated about camping and RV's. I've camped in everything from a $2.00 tarp to a $1,000,000 motorhome (not mine), from Florida to Alaska. I can tell you what works great for me. Others here can give advice about what works great for them. Everybody is different and has different needs and setups.

I never even slept in a motel room until I got married. Either on the ground or in a camper. That's the way it was in my family.

One thing I can promise you: NEVER, EVER, LET A SALESMAN TELL YOU WHAT YOUR TRUCK CAN PULL. DO YOUR RESEARCH AND FIND YOUR VEHICLES LIMITS. SALESMEN SELL RV's. THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR TRUCK AND ITS TOWING STRUGGLES.

Ok this may be a dumb question. This truck camper idea seems to be very versatile. Can you off load a truck camper like this at a campground, secure it and leave it there set up during a week vacation and use the truck without the camper to run around town etc?

Can you camp in this type of camper without the truck attached?

Yes, they are designed so you can camp in it while sitting on the jacks. Takes me about 30 min’s to load or unload.

My first requirement is Air conditioning. 2nd is a bathroom with a black tank. 3rd is water heater with shower. Or, just camp at places with electricity and bathhouse with a tent and tarps or canopy. You can plug in a fridge, heater or air conditioning unit

Back
Top Bottom