• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any tips on cleaning old school aluminum rims!

These are the ones that I still have left but they come in different shapes so that you can get in all the different grooves and the edges. They're all in the same section so you won't have a problem finding them and their dirt cheap. You can find the metal holding attachments that will fit in dremel tools or air tools. You can pick up a ton of them for just a little bit of cash. They work by far better than the Soft Stuff. You're going to need that stiffer polishing wheel surface to get good results. Some of those kits have the different chucks in them and like I say they're not very expensive at all. It'll save yourself a ton of time.

Attachments

• 16772757859441105429903609479082.jpg
    16772757859441105429903609479082.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 9
Also make sure you wear clothes that you don't mind getting stained or dirty. Because those polishing wheels will throw that crap everywhere. You'll have white Polishing Compound everywhere you can imagine.

Polishing is just a series of removing larger scratches and replacing them with smaller scratches. If you start off with two heavy grit of paper then you'll have to work twice as hard to get the deeper scratches out. Start if you have to use paper start off with the lighter grit you can and get the effect you're looking for. You will always have to work your way from heavy grit to fine grit in stages. You can't jump from 320 up to 3000 it just won't work. Hence start off with the finest Grit that gets the job done and then work up to the finest grit you can get. By the wet/ dry paper. It's a lot more durable and won't rip and tear like dry paper will.

These rubber grounding bits also work wonders especially on the high speed tool. You can get them in all different grits and all different shapes for really hard to get areas. They're basically a soft rubber compound that has Fine Grid in it. I use them to polish M4 feed ramps but I also used them to polish the valve covers on my LS1. There was some really hard to get to nooks and crannies and the bullet shaped ones really sped things up a lot just another good idea for you to take a look at you can order them from Amazon for dirt cheap.

I'm old and clumsy. I've curbed the snot out of my truck rims. I'm coming up on 66K miles on my current tires. I'd like to get the aluminum wheels professional help. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Picture is from when I bought the truck. I know they'd been worked on before I bought it.

20230224_182616.jpg

I'm old and clumsy. I've curbed the snot out of my truck rims. I'm coming up on 66K miles on my current tires. I'd like to get the aluminum wheels professional help. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Picture is from when I bought the truck. I know they'd been worked on before I bought it.

View attachment 5399034
I believe there was a wheel refinishing service over near Buford or somewhere there abouts. I know he repairs them so refinishing would be part of that. Look up ( alloy wheel repair in Atlanta ). He should pop up in that search. Plus a few more maybe closer to you. He takes out the curb rash and cleans them up real nice. Wheel repair is not cheap but factory wheels can be a grand a pop so it's reasonable considering.

Harbor freight in Cartersville has a few of these @$2 ea on a endcap rack in the back of the store. I picked up a few but there were still 6 or so left.

View attachment 5399355
There you go. I used many of those before. I just threw a bag of used ones away two days ago cleaning out tool boxes. I have a rolling stack but I have probably 6 other tool boxes filled with tools and accessories. I had probably 5 of those and 10 other shapes all used and crusted. They work very well for big areas. After I built my car I started polishing everything under the hood. If it was aluminum or stainless it fit polished. Under the hood was amazing. That pic I posted was before everything was done. My Trans Am took second place at he Atlanta F-Body show in 2011 in the Super Modified Class. I bet I had 500 hours of polishing under the hood. I did valve covers, throttle body, belt tensioner, ABS dis. block, all the air con parts and a ton of other things got the treatment. 600 HP of rolling beauty. Should have never sold it but I built 3 other Cars that year and kind of tired of it.

View attachment 5399034
Can’t hide money with them limited wheels. :pound: JK

Back
Top Bottom