• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any tips on cleaning your can

Deleted member 79987

Default rank 5000+ posts
Good enough for government work
79   0
Reaction score
My pistol has started to not cycle with a can on it, because the piston & spring are getting stuck to each other due to gunk (I think). Time to clean it I guess. I've seen a couple of videos, including one where a guy used WD40. Not sure I like that idea? Normally I use only Ballistol to clean my pistol. Will this work for baffles, pistons, etc. too? What do you guys use to gets your cans nice & shiny again?

A5D63B96-ECE4-46A8-B740-B11216EBBC5F.jpeg

Looks like TiRant internals. Get a chore boi from the hardware store and use it to clean inside of can with some Hoppes. You can also use it on the pistons and hard parts. Go easier on baffles since they are alum.

I bought a gallon of gunk carb cleaner, the paint can you soak parts in. I soaked my 5.56 and my 22lr can in it for a couple days amd it dissolved a lot of carbon. Did quite a bit to loosen the carbon and lead lamination in my 22 can.

An overnight soak in "The Dip" which is a 50/50 mix of peroxide and vinegar works great on all the NON ALUMINUM parts.

Looks like TiRant internals. Get a chore boi from the hardware store and use it to clean inside of can with some Hoppes. You can also use it on the pistons and hard parts. Go easier on baffles since they are alum.

Are the baffles stainless steel?
I use a tumbler with pins to clean mine. I am wanting to get a ultrasonic cleaner to use also.
Thanks for those suggestions. Yes according to the manufacturer my can has 17-4PH stainless steel baffles (all of them -- no alum) in a titanium tube.

Back
Top Bottom