• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any tips on cleaning your can

Thanks for those suggestions. Yes according to the manufacturer my can has 17-4PH stainless steel baffles (all of them -- no alum) in a titanium tube.
If that’s the case use the dip. 50/50 white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide.
Leave them in there for the day and they will literally wipe clean.
You MUST wear gloves though, lead acitate is nasty stuff.

If that’s the case use the dip. 50/50 white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide.
Leave them in there for the day and they will literally wipe clean.
You MUST wear gloves though, lead acitate is nasty stuff.
So you're saying I can't drink it like Ballistol? Looking at you cmshoot cmshoot ;) lol.

After cleaning, do you wipe the pieces with anything or just let them air dry? And what do you do with lead acetate afterwards? Sounds like bio-hazard level stuff.

Are you shooting unjacketed lead bullets through the can?

Re: Disposing of lead acetate, I usually put it in a plastic jug, mark it accordingly with a sharpie and drop it off at the local dump/transfer station where they take waste oil and paint cans.

So you're saying I can't drink it like Ballistol? Looking at you cmshoot cmshoot ;) lol.

After cleaning, do you wipe the pieces with anything or just let them air dry? And what do you do with lead acetate afterwards? Sounds like bio-hazard level stuff.
I keep it in a mason jar for next time.
I take all the cleaned parts and put them in a second jar with hot water and dawn, shake it to get the mixture off, rinse out, then towel wipe them.

No just regular jacketed FMJ and JHP.

Personally, I'd save 'the dip' for cans that are leaded up from non-jacketed ammo, and just give the piston, spring and housing a good scrubbing with a scotchbrite pad and some solvent, being careful not to booger up any o-rings. Hit the piston and o-ring with a dab of hi-temp grease when you put it back together.

Pistons I clean by hand with clp and a brush, baffles I put in my tumbler with pins.
But I clean almost every time I use them so I don’t get a lot of build up. learned my lesson with my first rimfire can on that, almost destroyed it trying to get it apart

Back
Top Bottom