• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any tricks for cat smell and or smoker smell??

Carbon filters won't do spit unless they contain ten pounds of carbon or more. Mine uses 40 lb cartridges, and it will eliminate all evidence of a 4 hour poker game with chain smokers, in about 24 hours. The 1/4" thick ones for your AC? Save your money.

Tip: You can't get any effective air filters from a big box store.

Easy, easy, easy. I used to get 10-20% discounts on houses with those smells.

Rip out the carpet, and spray the floorboards liberally with Odoban, or any other enzyme cleaner. You'll need to get it wet. Soak the obvious stain spots. Let it dry, problem gone. If can can't replace the carpet and pad, you'll have to just wash the heck out of them with Odoban, and hope for the best. $40 of Odoban and a couple of hours would get a $20K discount on a house.

Ozone will work too for the smoke smell, but ruins things in the house. Tread carefully, and understand that it probably won't get all the cat smell out of the floorboards (but Odoban will).

Ozone will get smoke smell off the WALLS though-- and obviously cleaning the floor can't address that. Either paint all the walls with Killz, and re-paint, or ozone.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/OdoBan-...-and-Mildew-Control-Multi-Purpose-Concentrate

Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Amazon-- used to only be available from janitorial supply places.

It works.

Thank you!!

What does ozone ruin in the home?

Thank you!!

What does ozone ruin in the home?

You will have to research, as it's been a long time. I wouldn't leave a nice Oriental rug in there though.... fades colors, degrades fabrics. Check the internet; this is not a secret.

Reactions: JHW
You will have to research, as it's been a long time. I wouldn't leave a nice Oriental rug in there though.... fades colors, degrades fabrics. Check the internet; this is not a secret.
Thank you I will take a look it is empty now but I greatly appreciate all the tips

Here's an air filter that works:

https://www.rexart.com/allerair_5000_air_filters.html

Understand that it won't help stinky walls and floors-- just removes smells in the air. Current smoke. Current cooking smells. Current VOCs from gun cleaning chemicals. Dead rat in wall? Sure! Keeps the smell down until it is gone.

Maybe you can find something similar cheaper. These units work great, but man are they pricey. You gotta have the volume of charcoal though.

Reactions: JHW
Easy, easy, easy. I used to get 10-20% discounts on houses with those smells.

Rip out the carpet, and spray the floorboards liberally with Odoban, or any other enzyme cleaner. You'll need to get it wet. Soak the obvious stain spots. Let it dry, problem gone. If you can't replace the carpet and pad, you'll have to just wash the heck out of them with Odoban, and hope for the best. $40 of Odoban and a couple of hours would get a $20K discount on a house.

Ozone will work too for the smoke smell, but ruins things in the house. Tread carefully, and understand that it probably won't get all the cat smell out of the floorboards (but Odoban will). If your ozone emitter says it's safe for you to remain in the house, then that's because it will not work. Look elsewhere; real ozone emitters are dangerous.

Ozone will get smoke smell off the WALLS though-- and obviously cleaning the floor can't address that. Either paint all the walls with Killz, and re-paint, or ozone. That's what fire restoration companies do.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/OdoBan-...-and-Mildew-Control-Multi-Purpose-Concentrate

Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Amazon-- used to only be available from janitorial supply places. Now available in multiple scents.

It works.

I don't think you'd be getting a 10-20% discount in this market.

I have had great success using TSP (TriSodiumPhosphate) on smoke filmed walls, washing them before painting.
I agree w/ the 'SMELL Discount". 20K is nothing to Sneeze at!
Odoban the floors, you may even have to SEAL the floors before new carpet goes down.
you will be able to chalk it up to "Sweat Equity" in thee new place.

Back
Top Bottom