• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any tricks for cat smell and or smoker smell??

I know a guy (former co-worker) that bought an ozone machine to do specially that kind of gig on the side. PM me if you want his contact info. But, as mentioned, if it has soaked through the subfloor, you'd going to have to address that (I'd paint the subfloor). I used his machine in my 500 sq. ft. cabin that had a bad mildew smell going on. Ran it for maybe an hour and half. Gone pecan.
Cat whizz and smoke in a new home. You won the daily double! ;)

Thank you!!

What does ozone ruin in the home?
Your eyes, lungs, etc... ;)
Basically organic things are at risk. So no pets, and you must let it 'air out' before rehabitating. I 'think' you are supposed to remove plants as well. Can't remember, been a while. You can definitely smell/taste it if you go in too quick and while it's not particular offensive you can just tell it's not something you are supposed to be inhaling or be exposed to.

I am cleaning the carpet floors etc., but I didn't know if there might be something I am missing.
I've never known anyone to effectively get cat pizz smell out of a carpet. Maybe temporarily, but not permanently. They tend to just get used to it and think it's gone. :yuck: Maybe you'll get lucky.

I have had great success using TSP (TriSodiumPhosphate) on smoke filmed walls, washing them before painting.
I agree w/ the 'SMELL Discount". 20K is nothing to Sneeze at!
Odoban the floors, you may even have to SEAL the floors before new carpet goes down.
you will be able to chalk it up to "Sweat Equity" in thee new place.

Agreed with all the above. Odoban plus sealing would be ideal, but probably not necessary. I'd suggest try the Odoban first and let it work for a week. Woodsman's right though about TSP-- it will often get tar and smell off the walls.

You're good in any case-- smells of these sorts are 100% fixable. Seriously. Odoban for the win.

(And its cousin Microban though they changed the name, is the germ/mold killer extraordinaire, for when you cannot use Clorox. You can hose anything down with Microban. You'll have to look up the new name though.)

And one more Kuduman tip: TSP is the stuff they took out of your dishwasher detergent and clothes washing detergent to save the waterways. It wasn't in there as a filler, if you get my drift.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions home I am moving to with a little bit of cat urine and/or smoker smell from prior owners.

Any tips or tricks on how to deal with that?

I am cleaning the carpet floors etc., but I didn't know if there might be something I am missing.

Thank you all in advance
Baseboards and wash all of the walls before painting them with kilz or the smoke smell will come back

I read an article on those do they actually work?
Yes sir. We used those when I was a car salesman. I didn't actually use it but the prep dept. used them to rid used cars of smoke smell. You get in a car that one has been used in you would swear it had never been smoked in. They get rid of any offensive odors.

If you have a male cat and that bastard is marking his territory with scent glands you will never get that nasty smell out. My mom had to throw away a couple of 1000 dollar sofas before my cat died. Once the mark the keep marking the same place. It's not pee. It's scent they use to mark thier space and it can't be removed. Just pee if you can steam clean right after you are ok. Just don't let it sit and let then keep going into the same space. If that happens you will have to rip up the carpet and replace the plywood flooring and all. It's a massive undertaking. This can be avoided by a good house trained cat or fixed male cat.

If you have a male cat and that bastard is marking his territory with scent glands you will never get that nasty smell out. My mom had to throw away a couple of 1000 dollar sofas before my cat died. Once the mark the keep marking the same place. It's not pee. It's scent they use to mark thier space and it can't be removed. Just pee if you can steam clean right after you are ok. Just don't let it sit and let then keep going into the same space. If that happens you will have to rip up the carpet and replace the plywood flooring and all. It's a massive undertaking. This can be avoided by a good house trained cat or fixed male cat.

Oh, you have the MALE CAT smell. Yikes. It will cost a fortune. And that's why I'm only offering you 50% of market price for your house. I can close tomorrow, all cash. Say 10 AM at my attorney in Sandy Springs?

Just kidding. But I've had great success with Odoban. Cat pee to me smells like money. Maybe I just got lucky.

Back
Top Bottom