• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any Volvo Techs around here?

The 240 model is the best car Volvo ever produced. Cheap to maintain and easy to work on little tank.
I agree on the 240 ( and the 740 to a lesser extent) Back in 13 we scored an 88 240 DL bas model 5 speed with new Dunlop tires on it for $300.00 . The lady that owned it had bought a new Liberty and parked the Brick in the backyard. Then she flung a rock through the back glass with the lawn mower.
When we got it home my landlord and car bidness partner didn't understand the attraction to such a funny looking car. Then I got him to drive it down the road a ways. It rode and drove more like an American car than a European car. It was comfortable yet still basic with manual windows locks and 5 speed transmission. That's what set those older Volvo models apart from BMW, VW, Mercedes etc. They were built for folks that recognized and appreciated value over appearance and bells and whistles. The 240s were half a million mile cars. And if you find me a wagon I can get you ALL the money for it.

Volvo’s aren’t that bad if they were well maintained. Doesn’t sound like that one was. Parts are expensive and can take a couple days to get. If you can punt this one I would.

I agree on the 240 ( and the 740 to a lesser extent) Back in 13 we scored an 88 240 DL bas model 5 speed with new Dunlop tires on it for $300.00 . The lady that owned it had bought a new Liberty and parked the Brick in the backyard. Then she flung a rock through the back glass with the lawn mower.
When we got it home my landlord and car bidness partner didn't understand the attraction to such a funny looking car. Then I got him to drive it down the road a ways. It rode and drove more like an American car than a European car. It was comfortable yet still basic with manual windows locks and 5 speed transmission. That's what set those older Volvo models apart from BMW, VW, Mercedes etc. They were built for folks that recognized and appreciated value over appearance and bells and whistles. The 240s were half a million mile cars. And if you find me a wagon I can get you ALL the money for it.

One of the owners of the shop I worked at was driving a turbo wagon at 100mph on his way to Vegas when he crashed and walked away from it. I had an occasion to cut up a 240 that was being hauled off for scrap. The car has basically a roll cage built around the occupants. The only classic car I would put my daughter in as a first car.

One of the owners of the shop I worked at was driving a turbo wagon at 100mph on his way to Vegas when he crashed and walked away from it. I had an occasion to cut up a 240 that was being hauled off for scrap. The car has basically a roll cage built around the occupants. The only classic car I would put my daughter in as a first car.
Oh absolutely. I've been reading about cars since I was a preteen and paying close attention to most brands. Volvo had THE reputation for safety before any other brand even thought about it. I still want a 242 coupe or the Bertone coupe that looked like a 2r2 with a chopped top. Or the 7 series Bertone coupe from 89 or 90ish. But again I LOVE boxy coupes.

Back
Top Bottom